Expanding My Herd

Status
Not open for further replies.

turtlemann2

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mid Willamette Valley, Or
I am the happy owner of one male three toed two female three toed an ornate feamle and now thanks to craigslist am going to be getting a very nicly colored female eastern box if only, i could find a few more easterns,

i have noticed pet stores no longer sell box turtles which is a good thing since most were wild caught adults, my question to you all is what are yo seeing in your areas as far as what is availible and how are you finding them, craiglist, pet store, wild caught (were legal), internet ?

anyways i hope to wrap this deal up and get the newest member of my boxie family next week : ) will post photos of the whole gang some day soon :tort::tort::tort:

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Awesome, congrats on the upcoming addition! Definitely post pics. EBTs are such pretty turtles!

Around here, you almost never see boxies in stores... I think I've seen a couple Three-toes, but that's about it. KSL (Utah's version of craigslist) is pretty scant on turtles/tortoises, too, but right now there's two gorgeous three-toeds (at least, I think that's what they are!) up for grabs. Occasionally, there will be Ornates, but I haven't seen any in awhile.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Here in NY they are illegal to sell. You can own them only with a permit. Even the rescues won't give you any unless you have a permit to own. I got some of mine from the rescue here and some I have since hatchlings that have grown up, and others, a few people gave me. I think Eastern's are the nicest looking, but I notice the one Gulf Coast that I have has a VERY out going personality, although I think that box turtles all have great personalities.... IMO.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Unfortunately, the pet industry was largely responsible for the demise of eastern box turtle populations in the northeast. I'd strongly urge you to not purchase or harvest any wild box turtles, even where it's legal. I'd keep inquiring around here for easterns instead, being patient (I know it's tough!) for someone to chime in with a eastern box hatchling/sub-adult/adult. Just my two-cents...

I hope you find what you're looking for soon!

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
If you wait until the Spring or beginning of Summer, you'll find a few on Kingsnake classified and Fauna Classifieds. Lots of times they have juveniles and hatchlings for sale. I think most of the adults they sell are WC, but they do have a lot for sale on those two sites. They have Eastern hatchlings now on Kingsnake.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
terryo said:
If you wait until the Spring or beginning of Summer, you'll find a few on Kingsnake classified and Fauna Classifieds. Lots of times they have juveniles and hatchlings for sale. I think most of the adults they sell are WC, but they do have a lot for sale on those two sites. They have Eastern hatchlings now on Kingsnake.

I truly hope they are not selling wild caught adults. Please see the brief paper attached. It's a bit dated, and I think a bit too "dumbed down", but this doesn't detract from its effectiveness on my stance of wild caught boxie adults.

I'm not trying to upset anyone here, or make anyone defensive, this is not an attack or judgement on any of you currently keeping wild caught turtles/tortoises, rather it's a plea to discontinue this practice in the future.

Attachments

• Belzer_et al._1999.pdf
    545.5 KB · Views: 80

turtlemann2

5 Year Member
i too would shy away from supporting any wild caught boxie industry, i dont know where the original origin of this particular boxie is though i do know it is from a private party who has had her for 5yrs+ here in the PNW there are no wild boxies to collect but i do know in some states such as missouri allow you to collect for personal pets. i am glad though that i dont have to worry about having permits and such for the keeping box turtles.
redstrike thanks for the article it is a good reminder to many whom would consider WC Boxies

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I absolutely agree with you Chris. It kills me to see so many WC boxies being sold during the Summer months. They are all over the classified. Kids where I live go up in the woods and catch them and bring them to pet shops where they sell them in "back rooms". I am a box turtle person, and it breaks my heart to see things like this. I've had box turtles in my yard from before I was born. When my Dad died , my sister and I inherited his oldest box turtle, that we grew up with. He was a beautiful Eastern, and he only died recently at well over 60 years old.
I hope you post pictures of your box turtles Scott, and good luck finding an Eastern. I have a few juveniles now and in the Spring, I'm hoping that I see more females than males or I will have to re-home some of the males.:(

turtlemann2

5 Year Member
terryo said:
I absolutely agree with you Chris. It kills me to see so many WC boxies being sold during the Summer months. They are all over the classified. Kids where I live go up in the woods and catch them and bring them to pet shops where they sell them in "back rooms". I am a box turtle person, and it breaks my heart to see things like this. I've had box turtles in my yard from before I was born. When my Dad died , my sister and I inherited his oldest box turtle, that we grew up with. He was a beautiful Eastern, and he only died recently at well over 60 years old.
I hope you post pictures of your box turtles Scott, and good luck finding an Eastern. I have a few juveniles now and in the Spring, I'm hoping that I see more females than males or I will have to re-home some of the males.:(

well you never know i may be in the market for a good male : ) although i am a bit disapointed with the circumstances under which i was hoping to adopt i was going to be driving a LONG ways tomorrow but it appears as though ill be waiting, i thought i had located a eastern trio and the single easten i was referring to in this post but after seeing the pictures i knew the single female was for sure an eastern but the picture of the "trio" wasnt the trio i was expecting... it went from a trio of easterns as described to being identified as a male three toed and two female ornates.... :( still may get the ornates though... i dont know

turtlemann2

5 Year Member
thats the same lady... although its NOT an eastern its a ttbt....... she was offended when i was asking for a "deal" on the rehoming price along with the 4 hr drive to get them and their quote unquote enclosure... she has yet to return my emails although we were texting back and forth for a while... if i could get up there i would do it but last i heard she wont hold them for me. so we will see how long they are up on CL

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Aah, I see. I thought it seemed familiar, but figured it was just a funny coincidence. Poor turtles. I'm sorry to hear that. People can really be ridiculous sometimes...

Status
Not open for further replies.