Housing Torts together

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReptileBuddies

5 Year Member
Hello! I am contemplating buying a cherry head tort (male) and I currently have a redfoot tort (male) - would it be ok to house these two together (after a quarantine period)??? How do you introduce torts? I've introduced dogs and cats but never a tort, lol! And I should add that our redfoot tort has never been housed with another tort (to our knowledge) we adopted him and he is in his 40s.
Thanks!

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Iowa
If the two are about the same size, the two could be housed together. They are both redfoots (a cherryhead is a southern subspecie). You will have to watch for possible aggresstion though.

ReptileBuddies

5 Year Member
Is there a special way to introduce torts? Such as allowing them to roam around in a neutral place first? Should the new tort start off with like 5 minutes in Aslan's enclosure and then up it a few minutes every day?? Or should I just put the new tort in the enclosure and watch closely??

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
As long as your enclosure has visual barriers (rocks, plants, hills) you can put them together without an introductory period. I have found this helps the first one not feel so territorial - if he can't see the new one all the time. Even so, watch them carefully for the first day or so. Fighting and bullying can get ugly!

ReptileBuddies

5 Year Member
Is getting a female companion better than getting a male companion?? Is there less chance of any fighting??
Sorry about all the questions I just don't want there to be problems!!
Thanks!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Well, I have two yellow foot males and the larger of the two will always try to kill the smaller one. I've tried several different times to incorporate all of them together and its always the same store. My outdoor pen is large and has plenty of cover and visual barriers, however whenever the larger one finds the smaller one he tries to run him out of the territory.

Moral - get two females!

ReptileBuddies

5 Year Member
Ugh I would've gotten two girls, but it seems like every animal we adopt is male!!! lol I love Aslan but he needs a sex change ;) Do you think getting him a female companion would be better?? I don't want redfoot babies simply because I can't handle giving them to new homes, but if you don't incubate the eggs they won't hatch (ugh that sounds so mean...). :(

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
There's nothing wrong with allowing them to breed. Who knows...maybe there's a market for RF's in your city. Give it a try. Male/female works well. The male pesters the female a bit, but not over much like Russians do.

ReptileBuddies

5 Year Member
K thanks! I think we'll keep our eyes open for a female. I don't know about raising young torts yet, but only time can tell whats gonna happen :)

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
ReptileBuddies said:
Hello! I am contemplating buying a cherry head tort (male) and I currently have a redfoot tort (male) - would it be ok to house these two together (after a quarantine period)??? How do you introduce torts? Thanks!

Sure you can keep them together!...I have 13 in my herd and 3 diff types of Reds...all who get along. There will be a dominate male...as usally can be seen by him : making his rounds" ...checking on everyone.And the so called fighting.. is not all year.. just certian times of the year .. but I have yet to see any type of fighting with in my males...just normal " call outs" . Contrary to belief that tortoises are "solo " type animals I have witnessed my own reds much more active when in groups. Even noticable at night all in " huddle" to preserve heat within each others bodies. ( they know... their not dummys:p) and of course to group around heat source....both inside/outside their enclosure.
Happy Red"N ~ :)
JD:)

Status
Not open for further replies.