Three Russian torts, happy together

Cherepakha

Location (City and/or State)
Portugal
I really mean no offense when I say this, so please don't be upset

T.G.
Hi T.G.! Well, I am a little shocked at the stir I've caused, I really thought I had all my bases covered when introducing the torts. I really appreciate all your input and I will make the most of the situation as it is now. The digital scale tip is really helpful. Even if Slookie had stayed alone, weighing her (I've only been measuring all three) will be a good monitoring tool.
I've much to learn about dominance, that is a fact as I don't see it in the pictures. I'm sorry to hear about the situation at your uncle's :( I hope the rest of the creep is doing good now!

i has a question. how tall is the wall on the side of the cage on the 3d picture? couldn't the torts just climb on top of each other and fall out? also do you provide a heat light and uvb light?
Hi! Thank you for your concern! The wall is very low as the sun hangs low in summer and would otherwise not enter their terrarium. However, the terrarium is on the floor and that part of the floor is blocked from further escaping by walls, a very low couch and boxes. Leia has already snuck out once via a plastic rock that was against the side and I moved it away now, just in case. When Gandalf just got here, he also tried to climb over the side a few times, however he was unsuccesful and continued his exploring inside the terrarium.
And to your other question, yes they have the appropriate heat and uvb light and I have positioned the terrarium in such a way that it gets the most sunlight this house has to offer.

You may just have to have three enclosures. At least inside. It will probably be better if you have a large outdoor enclosure for the warm part of the year at least. I'm sorry I don't know where you live. Because if you remove one, then you're left with a pair. Which is worse than a group. Usually. If it was me I would make three indoor enclosures. And one very large outdoor enclosure. Or try to rehome at least one tortoise, but then I would have to indoor enclosures. :)

Hi Leigti, thank you for your tip! I'm moving to an appartment with a big veranda and have been designing outdoor terrariums for them to be in during the summer and I will take your advice in concideration, for both the indoor and outdoor terrariums. I live in Portugal :)

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Northern California, bay area
And to your other question, yes they have the appropriate heat and uvb light and I have positioned the terrarium in such a way that it gets the most sunlight this house has to offer.
is the sunlight is going through a glass window? if so the torts are not getting UV, cause UV light doesn't go through glass.

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Northern California, bay area
Hi! Thank you for your concern! The wall is very low as the sun hangs low in summer and would otherwise not enter their terrarium. However, the terrarium is on the floor and that part of the floor is blocked from further escaping by walls, a very low couch and boxes. Leia has already snuck out once via a plastic rock that was against the side and I moved it away now, just in case. When Gandalf just got here, he also tried to climb over the side a few times, however he was unsuccesful and continued his exploring inside the terrarium.
be very careful a small drop can crack a tortoises shell.

Cherepakha

Portugal
is the sunlight is going through a glass window? if so the torts are not getting UV, cause UV light doesn't go through glass.
Hi! UVB light doesn't go through glass indeed (UVA does, but that's not the rays we want). Yes, it's glass window, but we open it when we're home. We have wires hanging outside so birds can't swoop in and snag one of the torts But even so, we leave the UVB light on.
be very careful a small drop can crack a tortoises shell.
I will! We were thinking of putting a mat of fake grass there, but then I'm more concerned they will try to eat the fake grass. For now, I've observed all three torts trying to get out without the plastic rock and they have been unsuccesful. In a few weeks we're moving to the new appartment, where they have a much higher walled terrarium. Thank you for your feedback!