Housing Question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortoiseluvr

5 Year Member
I have three adult (1 male, 2 female) pancake tortoises currently living together. Both females have laid an egg recently and appear that they may lay more soon. I am hoping I might have a fertile egg, but if not I am still interested in acquiring a hatchling to raise. I have been wondering about housing babies with adults. Is there a certain size they should be before going in with the adults? They are currently indoors for the winter, so there aren't really an environmental issues. I would "baby proof" or make some adjustments to the enclosure, so there would be no risk of it getting stuck in a small space.

I guess the big concern is how the adults would react. So any suggestions about when is an appropriate time to add a smaller addition to the mix?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
In my experience pancakes seem to be calm in general, the only concern I really have is having an adult injure a hatchling because of the size differences.

tortoiseluvr

5 Year Member
That was my biggest concern because they could do something that wouldn't be a problem with an adult, but could injure a hatchling. They climb all over each other and stack which is typical for pancakes but I am concerned that a hatchling could get hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.