Housing male Russians together ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

acrowe

5 Year Member
Can anyone help me with a question? I have a 6 year old male russian tortoise that I have had for two years. He is very happy and lives most of the time inside in his 4'x4' table.. I recently just pick up another male russian that someone found on the road.. My question is after his Quarantine will they ever be able to be houses together ?? Or should I just make a separate table for the new russian.. Thanks

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Wayland, NY
After quarintine, you can attempt to allow them live together. But they need a very large enclosure with many sight barriers. But you should have a seperate enclosure ready for the second tortoise in case it doesn't work out (which it probably won't.)
Also, 4x4 is kind of small for two russians.

Sent from my Ipod using the tortoiseforum app

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I wouldn't even try putting two male russians together in an indoor enclosure. It is very unlikely to end without blood shed.

I am considering trying to keep a "bachelor" herd with several males in a very large, well planted outdoor enclosure with lots of obstacles. Don't know if it will work or not, but I'm going to give it a go at some point.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Very rarely ever does it work out for two sexually mature male Russian tortoises (or other male Testudo species) to be able to peacefully live together within the same enclosure. Barriers, hide areas and so on are going to be of little help. The more dominant male is going to very likely seek out and pursue the submissive male relentlessly to the point of injury and exhaustion. Testudo species males are usually extremely territorial and this is especially true of Russian tortoise males.

MikeCow1

5 Year Member
Orange County, CA
I'm with Tom and wouldn't even try it except, possibly, in a huge outdoor enclosure. Males are very territorial and don't do well in one on one situations. 4X4 is too small for even one Russian,IMO, they are movers and walk around almost all the time.

pam

5 Year Member
Minnesota
just make a separate table for the new russian :)

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
He is very happy and lives most of the time inside in his 4'x4' table

don't disturb his life... two separate enclosure is you cant find the owner for the found one...

acrowe

5 Year Member
Thanks everyone for the help! I am in the process of building Turvy ( my fist male) a bigger home anyway.. So I will just build another one for my new guy:)

Status
Not open for further replies.