Has anyone had success housing Russian and Hermanns tortoises together

Washingtonpost77

5 Year Member
Hello. I have chosen two house two tortoos species together because it is less expensive than giving each tortoise its own enclosure. I would have to buy UVB and heat lamps for each enclosure. I currently have a female Russian housed with my pancake tortoise and the other enclosure houses the Hermmans .

meech008

5 Year Member
Well I'm confused, you said you had a male russian?

meech008

5 Year Member
Hello. I have chosen two house two tortoos species together because it is less expensive than giving each tortoise its own enclosure. I would have to buy UVB and heat lamps for each enclosure. I currently have a female Russian housed with my pancake tortoise and the other enclosure houses the Hermmans .
It might be less expensive now, but the vet bills won't be

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California

Well if they all die from novel disease introduced by foreign species, then you will really save some money.

One trip to the vet to fix up an injury or try to diagnose illness will cost you far more than the price of another tub and heat lamp. I speak from first hand experience here.

Washingtonpost77

5 Year Member
The male Russian is hjoised with the malee Hermanns and the femal Russian is houses with you the pancake adult male.

Dosu

Location (City and/or State)
Kuwait
The male Russian is hjoised with the malee Hermanns and the femal Russian is houses with you the pancake adult male.

Hello,
I suggest you listen to the forum members and just separate the tortoises. It's very cheap to find a huge plastic tub for each tortoise. Don't think about yourself and the expenses, think about the tortoises. Why would you purposefully put the tortoises in harms way? I really don't understand.

Washingtonpost77

5 Year Member
Hi. I separated my male and female Russian tortoises. I now have them housed in the waterland tub. The tub is designed for
Water turtles but I just wanted to know if it can be used for land turtles? I also wanted to know if it is okay to house a male and female Russian together. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20151103_200614.jpg
    IMG_20151103_200614.jpg
    724.3 KB · Views: 24

Washingtonpost77

5 Year Member
Hi. I now it is not good two different species together. I just wanted to know if not is okay to house a male and female Russian tortoises together.

meech008

5 Year Member
Hi. I now it is not good two different species together. I just wanted to know if not is okay to house a male and female Russian tortoises together.
Not usually. It's better to have at least 3. 2 females to 1 male. Russians are scrappy and tortoises in general do not do well in pairs. I think that was explained earlier in the thread.