Classic cars, trucks and motorcycles

zovick

10 Year Member!
Nice! We grew up in most oldsmobiles or Pontiac. My dad worked at a gm dealership for years and ordered the base model cars with inline 6's in them then threw hopped up v8's in them right after delivery. The one car he ordered with a V8 was before he worked at gm. It was a 1966 chevy II Nova with the 350hp 350. It didn't last long in there either. The week or so after he got it he put a built 409 in it and a lower set of gears. According to him and a few other relatives of the same age the car had enough power and torque to pick the front of the car off the ground with no hesitation. It was turned into a drag car. This is the only picture I have of it before the sub frame got twisted out of it.View attachment 366608
Those 409 engines will do that!

One of my good friends bought a 1963 Impala SS convertible with the 409/425 HP engine new in 1963. It had 4.11 rear gears and a Muncie 4 speed transmission. The front would lift off the ground much of the time when he nailed it (when he had the drag slicks on it). When he really got on it, you could feel the car twisting which I believe was amplified due to it being a convertible.

He went through MANY transmissions and several broken driveshafts with that car, but we had fun, fun, fun with it (when it wasn't being repaired in his driveway)! He even taught his girlfriend to remove the transmission to save down time.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Oh no, me lady. I'll argue this one to the death. They no longer made phaetons in the '40s. The black phaeton most certainly was a '36!

And I wasn't that inventive with hair supplies. . . I nicked my dad's keys while he was napping and had a couple ignition keys made. I THINK all his happened prior to my having a driving license. I was trying to remember what car I took the license test in, We only had the two phaetons and a big boat of a forty something Buick. I doubt it was the Buick. Can you picture a 16 year old teenager taking her driving test in a restored '36 Ford phaeton?
Yvonne, I'm surprised. I thought Maggie was the only hellion lol.
Your parents had their hands full lol

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
The white bike was my wife's new Z1000.
I forget what year it was.
We sold it to some famous South African football player who arrived by airplane and train with a box of cash to come ride off on it.
He wanted a bike to ride while he was in Florida.
The guy seemed to be amazed that I didn't know who he was. He assured me that he was an international star....

Attachments

• 20240217_150817.jpg
    20240217_150817.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 2

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.

One of my good friends bought a 1963 Impala SS convertible with the 409/425 HP engine new in 1963. It had 4.11 rear gears and a Muncie 4 speed transmission. The front would lift off the ground much of the time when he nailed it (when he had the drag slicks on it). When he really got on it, you could feel the car twisting which I believe was amplified due to it being a convertible.

He went through MANY transmissions and several broken driveshafts with that car, but we had fun, fun, fun with it (when it wasn't being repaired in his driveway)! He even taught his girlfriend to remove the transmission to save down time.
All 409s aren't created equally.
There was one that was much more powerful. Though they all looked distinctive

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Thanks for steering me straight on the corvette years/tops. Maybe he has a conv? Hmm. You guys have some very nice stuff!

Anyway, we used to LOVE you car guys back in the day....of course I rode a modified Kawasaki H2 triple....you guys called it the "Widowmaker"......riding up to Burger King to troll. You guys also used to see the blue cloud I left behind me...it's usually all that you saw once the light turned green....all for under a 1000 bucks! I still have a few of those 2 strokes....good fun....as long as you raced it from a dead stop. THAT was where the advantage was.

Come on, you knew at least one of the bikes guys would mention the speed wars we had in the 70's when you guys had the Camaro's, GTO, 396, 351 C's, "4 on the floor" 750 duel-feed Hollys" and hi-rise Edlebrock intake manifolds".

I had 3 cylinders totaling a measly 45cubic inches but ported to "terror" specs...and under 550l total rider/bike weight. You guys never had a chance with anything you could put on the street w/o getting busted. I'm not going to dismiss 690HP in a very light weight chassis though. That's a lot or torque..............

Cool stuff....and relax guys, I am only teasing....mostly...LOL

zovick

10 Year Member!
Yes that is true but it was a 348 not the 409.
One of my other good friends in high school had a 1958 Impala with a really built 348 in it. It was wickedly powerful with loads of torque. He broke some driveshafts also, just like my other friend with the 1963 Impala with the 409/425 horse motor.

NorCal tortoise guy

5 Year Member
Northern California