Hot lamp and CHE?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ojesus10

5 Year Member
I need some help on this issue. I bought a 8.5" Hot lamp fixture and a Exo-Terra 100w CHE yesterday for Stanley, my new and first tortoise. He's a Leo. Anyways, I set up his enclosure yesterday and set up this lamp to run 24/7 in which it was running fine for several hours until this morning. Before bed last night the temp was about 70 and when I woke this morning it was 57. I don't know if the hot lamp turns it's self off when it gets too hot or if the CHE is just bad. I bought this set up yesterday at the Reptile expo in Pomona so both of these are brand new. Any help would be great.

Attachments

• 2011-01-10_09-26-33_414.jpg
    2011-01-10_09-26-33_414.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 52
  • 2011-01-10_09-26-55_142.jpg
    2011-01-10_09-26-55_142.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 49

moswen

5 Year Member
well, the day light bulb only needs to be on for 12 hours, then it should switch to the che, is that what you mean?

a heat lamp really only has the capacity to raise the ambient temp in your enclosure about 10 degrees, was it 47degrees in your house last night lol? do the clamp lamps have enough wattage to take the che?

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
In your second pic the says adjustable output on the box what kind of bulb do you have in that one ? Does it have a thermostat? If so it might be shutting it self off . You have a leo you need a MVB bulb that put out UVB/UVA and heat :) you could get a timer an have the MVB come on in the morning and the CHE will shut off unless you need to up your temp then you can leave the Che on all day :) can you post some pic's of your leo ?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have a CHE on in my baby Texas Tortoise habitat and its been on day and night for about a week. Its still running fine. However, its not black like yours, its white.

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
I just did a google for the Arizona hot lamp it has a dimmer on it you need to adjust it. Do you have one dome or two?

datsunissan28

5 Year Member
Ohio
The Arizona Hot Lamp fixtures come with a traditional dimmer. This type of dimmer can become extremely hot as it is basically a big resistor and draws voltage away from the bulb or CHE in your case. Typically at first the dimmer stops working and is just locked in at full strength and then completely stops working.

I had one previously and this took a few years for this whole process to happen. I was only running a 75 watt bulb at the highest.

The newer style of dimmers actually turns on and off rapidly. It's a bit more complicated, but you can still find a dimmer switch for about $6.

ojesus10

5 Year Member
Thanks for the help, but figured it out. The CHE was defected. It was burned out. I was able to take it back and got it replaced. Stanley should be nice and toasty tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.