Che directly overhead vs at an angle

Subersibo

10 Year Member!
i know che's are meant to be hung overhead and raised or lowered to set the temps but is it ok to put it at an angle using a ceramic based clamp lamp? I am still experimenting with my outdoor setup and just need it to keep the ambient temp in the 80's and not to give off direct heat to the tort which could lead to shell damage.
I tried this since yesterday when outside temps were in the 50's and it seemed to work well til this morning. Temps in the insulated house is steady at 82-84. I have the che on a thermostat. Still thinking of a way to make it sturdier so there us no chance of the lamp moving. Anybody using che to heat outdoors?

Subersibo

10 Year Member!
I could also substitute the che with a high watt black light bulb but I don't know if that'll give enough heat to keep the house in the 80's during cold nights.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
You can mount CHEs at any angle as long as clearances are maintained. I would not recommend using the clamp to mount as l know you mentioned. But not even temporarily just not worth the risk of the fixture moving

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
This type of heat will work fine for smaller tortoises, but as your tortoise gains size, you will need to use something else if you want to provide enough heat without carapace damage.