Horsfield off his food

Status
Not open for further replies.

tinkerbell1189

5 Year Member
My 3year old horsfield is active, basking, destructive, everything he usually is, but he doesn't seem to have much of an appetite. I used to put his food down and he would rush over and start gobbling but he's not really interested at the moment. Should I be worried? He usually has a mixture of weeds eg plantain, dandelion leaves and the odd flower, red and white clover, geranium leaves, the leaves off a strawberry (treat) and pellets in the winter but I try not to offer them in the summer.

Have measure all of the temps and they are all the recommended, he has an MVB bulb, burrow, daily soaks, cuttlebone available, shade, basking area, topsoil for digging. I have noticed he keeps digging at one corner In his enclosure all the time and this worries me too, the walls of his enclosure arent overly high, they are 9inches. Could this be why do you think I should add to them maybe? Any suggestions for his eating? He does eat, but it just doesn't seem like much, and he is more interested in rampaging around his enclosure than the food

Oh and I also keep trying him with cactus too, but he just destroys it and doesn't seem to recognise it as food. And he has a tortoise seed mix growing in his enclosure too, which are all just little at the moment but looks like he has had a nibble on some of them. He also has rocket leaves too.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
My russians very rarely stop eating, usually if it gets really hot they will stop for a day or two, until it cools down, so far this year no real hot days in my area.

alben909

5 Year Member
Yuciapa,CA
dmmj said:
My russians very rarely stop eating, usually if it gets really hot they will stop for a day or two, until it cools down, so far this year no real hot days in my area.
I agree with dmmj. When Sheldon isn't eating, it was because the temperature.
:D

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I asked about his gender because you said his temps were within the normal levels, so the first thought of temperature being an issue is out. Next thought, especially since you mentioned his digging, was if your sure he is a male. Females who are going to lay eggs go off food often.

tinkerbell1189

5 Year Member
Jacqui said:
I asked about his gender because you said his temps were within the normal levels, so the first thought of temperature being an issue is out. Next thought, especially since you mentioned his digging, was if your sure he is a male. Females who are going to lay eggs go off food often.

Ah right didn't realise that, I was confused! He is definitely male he gets 'it' out sometimes and tends to get a bit horny... I did wonder whether because he is only 3 and has only recently sexually developed that maybe is hormones are a bit all over the place? This could be completely untrue though.. Just a thought.

Another thing I was worried about was is his beak overgrown? Maybe it needs a trim and this could be why? Don't get me wrong he does eat enough for me not to be completely panicking, it's just he's not that interested in his food and seems a little off it. I am a worrier though and do think a lot into things, am always worrying if he is ok!

Here are a few close ups of his face

Attachments

• image-1491398616.png
    image-1491398616.png
    238.4 KB · Views: 21
  • image-2704161849.png
    image-2704161849.png
    219.1 KB · Views: 25
  • image-1790122688.png
    image-1790122688.png
    228.7 KB · Views: 23
  • image-1251976732.png
    image-1251976732.png
    238.5 KB · Views: 20

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I'm a newby and can't help you, but will give your thread a bump!

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
My female steppe tortoise tends to eat more than my male. I think it's because he is more adventuresome, looking for opportunities to mate, fight, explore. Male steppe tortoises do have proportionately longer legs, and they walk faster and more often than females. It seems like when I give my tortoises more time outside to get some activity, their appetite improves, too - especially the male.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Another thing I forgot to mention is, remember to keep his diet varied. Even if you offer his favorite foods, eventually he will grow bored of them and lose his appetite. Sounds like the stuff you're feeding him is good, but remember to alternate different types of plants on different days. Include grocery produce like Romaine lettuce, endive, kale, mustard greens, dandelion greens, and turnip greens. And in addition to the dandelion and plantain you already offer, give him other garden weeds like prickly lettuce and bindweed. Your Russian might also eat clover, although some like it and some don't (mine don't). You can also include fruits, mushrooms, or snails as an occasional treat. The point is, keep the diet varied, and your tortoise will stay interested.

yoda3106

5 Year Member
Has it been hot lately in you area?? I get this everyday with our torts because of the heat, they only eat early morning and late evening, very very rarely, around 3/4pm and that's like this throughout the summer here in Cyprus!! Like dmmj said, heat could be the cause!!! Would you eat if it was hot?? Lol I know I don't, throughout the day, only ever morning and evening, like my torts, I wouldn't expect them too lol plus, there always hiding away during the main part of the day!!

Hope this helps :)

tinkerbell1189

5 Year Member
Thanks for all the help guys :) some v useful info. Will definitely try to vary his diet a bit. He did eat a wood louse yesterday! (I didn't give it to him he came across one in the garden). Unfortunately I live in the UK so heat def not an issue!!! Rains all the time #sigh#

Status
Not open for further replies.