Horsefield shell- advice please

Paddy&babs

This my little lady Russian, Babs! We took her off a friend a few months ago and have followed everything recommended religiously! I'm a bit worried about her growth - is this normal?

Her lines are soft on the white bits!!

1465934930363-557137943.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
In order to keep a symmetrical silhouette, some parts of the shell may grow more or faster than others. It's not "normal" but it's also not unusual.

GingerLove

5 Year Member
My tortoise has the same thing. I think for Russians, it's pretty regular.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I have been told that this comes from the tortoise eating too much of the "wrong" foods. Like too much grocery store greens versus weeds. Causing very fast growth and thick growth lines.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
My russian has growth lines too. I dont think it necessarily comes from eating "bad foods", but it is from eating alot. Does she look obese to you?
But i see it as your tortoise is growing. The soft white lines do harden and darken (as Tom mentioned) overtime.

Paddy&babs

Thanks guys! She's quite a timid little thing so doesn't stretch her legs too often so I did worry shed be putting weight on! She eats all the right foods - I must admit she does seem to eat a lot though! Definitely not showing signs of obesity though! I'll limit her food from now on! Thank you again!

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
Usually a pile of greens the size of her shell will do. My russian was going near obese for awhile. I had to make sure she had more exercise and only enough food. Shes better now :)
Though i miss having her eat so much.