Horse Treats

Ehaley

I was at the local Tractor Supply (store in the USA with farm products) and they have Horse treats for sale. Reasonable priced and in a variety of flavors. I checked the ingredient list: "contains timothy and alfalfa forages human grad cranberries and infused with apple juice, Preservative and chemical free." As well as
"100% pure dehydrated apples, without added fillers or sugar. No preservatives" For example. Was wondering if anyone tried them for treats for larger Tortoises. I of course mean treats not daily diet. Anyone? If not what do you think?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Unless its for a fruit eating species, like red foots, I would not use it.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
I have seen these in tack stores many times and pondered the same thing. I decided I wouldn't - not because the ingredients didn't make sense to me. I just didn't need yet another different food for occasional use.

Horses react much differently to "treats" than I have ever seen a tortoise react. I use flower blooms for tortoise treats. Those horse treats are expensive too.

Ehaley

$5.99 US for a 2 lb bag is okay by me but I hear you ha. My pantry has a special section for feed as it is. but If its something I can place in specific areas for my two guys to come upon as they forage about my home why not right.

Ehaley

I have seen these in tack stores many times and pondered the same thing. I decided I wouldn't - not because the ingredients didn't make sense to me. I just didn't need yet another different food for occasional use.

Horses react much differently to "treats" than I have ever seen a tortoise react. I use flower blooms for tortoise treats. Those horse treats are expensive too.
Only problem is flower blooms are hard to get in Chicago 7 months of the year. I do give them natural treats as a point most times but sometimes you just want to leave a cube in a corner on a plate and forget it ha