horaces outdoor space

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashned7

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Lake district, England
Well as some of you know, I have recently been researching the possibility of keeping a tortoise outside on a concrete area, as my whole yard is miserable grey concrete. I received very helpful answers from expereinced tort owners on this forum, and after also getting in touch with a couple of tortoise organisations I have found that large areas of substrate are needed (as well as the usual outdoor necessitities) but that the idea is plausable. So now instead of making a tortoise area for Horace, he can roam the whole yard!

This is how we started, with Horaces bedroom area:

horaces outdoor coldframe.jpg
horaces outdoor home.jpg
horace investigating dinner.jpg

He has two large substrate areas in the rest of the yard, and there are lots of plantpots and troughs containing pansies and violas (until payday when we will be increasing the variety) laid on their side for Horace to dig, climb and eat throughout the yard.

Any suggestions are greatly welcome!

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm so glad it works out for Horace to be outside. What a good idea to use that greenhouse thingey. I wouldn't have thought of that. My daughter has a couple of them for her bonsai plants, but it never crossed my mind it could be used for tortoise.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
UK has the handle on good tortoise stuff, from tortoise tables to cold frames to tortoise huts. We in the US, are sadly behind, enclosure-wise.
Good job! Horace is a great name and he is a lucky guy.

ashned7

5 Year Member
Lake district, England
thanks guys :) it was a lovely day today so the torts were getting the most of the sun. Horace was seeking out his dinner:

DSCF1541.JPG

and we have made a temporary area for Lola our little RT but we will be substrating the whole of her area soon :)

DSCF1514.JPG
DSCF1524.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.