Outdoor enclosure

Lindsey Turner

I am thinking about an outdoor enclosure for my Russian Tort. I have the area, but the grass that it is on has probably been treated before. Can she be on the grass that has had chemicals on it before? Or should I do something else to make the grass as pure as possible? And pictures? Im not working with a whole back yard, just a section. So not too big on the enclosures! Thank you in advanced :)

Momof4

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego
It depends on how long ago it was. I don't know the "rule" on the time frame, but someone will answer. Have fun planning!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Treated as in with pesticides? I placed 20" square, flat cement blocks on top of the grass to stop tunneling out and then dumped bags of mulch and potting soil on top inside of my enclosure. Pesticides didn't matter. The plus is that everything growing in there is stuff I planted and it's all edible and safe. I'd either do this or dig up the area. Better safe than sorry.

Last edited:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
For sure if it's been treated a year ago, you are safe. The rains alone will have washed it out. At even six months you should be safe. However, if you have any doubt, water it a lot. It will wash the stuff further into the ground and also dilute it

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Treated as in with pesticides? I placed 20" square, flat cement blocks on top of the grass to stop tunneling out and then dumped bags of mulch and potting soil on top inside of my enclosure. Pesticides didn't matter. The plus is that everything growing in there is stuff I planted and it's all edible and safe. I'd either do this or dig up the area. Better safe than sorry.
Just so you know you are doing it safe, adding dirt, soil, whatever on top of fresh or not yet washed away/diluted pesticides does not make it safe. Anything you grow in it will have been growing in pesticides/fertilizers, as the roots will still have worked its way down to it and the stuff would have still spread some what to the new substrate. Basically, you can't just cover it up.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A warm welcome to the :tort: forum.

Personally I think that the wild is the right place for these wonderful animals, so my advice is: go ahead! Good luck.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I too would like to know how long ago and what was used, before answering that part of the question. What sort of enclosure are you thinking about? For example one you can stand up in or a short one? What are you thinking for walls?