Not open for further replies.

janiedough

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
South Louisiana
I am freaking out.

I read http://www.tortoisetrust.org/articles/parasites.html

I did a search on here and found some answers, but I have more specific questions.

I brought my dog to the vet, and he has hookworms and whipworms which I don't understand how he got it since he is on preventative...that's another subject.

1 - I know torts can get hookworms. Can they get whipworms?

2 - Do I need to even worry about this if he doesn't have symptoms?

3 - How hard is it going to be to get rid of this? We have three dogs! All I know is my one dog has it. It has been raining and soggy lately, so it must've made it a breeding ground for these things.

I am really freaked.

Thanks in advance.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Get your tort's poop tested. About $10-$15 and very accurate, especially if you get a repeat test done in a few months. Even if the tort hadn't been in contact with the dogs, there is a chance it or something else got transferred. Torts can have mild to moderate cases of parasites with no symptoms. They have to get way out of hand before you see symptoms. I don't know specifically if torts can get whipworms though. Either way, no reason to flip out. Follow your vet's instructions for the dogs, ask your dog vet the dog-related questions including how to prevent this in the future, keep the tort away from dog poop (and the dogs), and get the tort's poop tested.

danieledwards2006

10 Year Member!
England
Frog and other amphibians carry them they can transfer to cats and dogs but dont pass to tortoises.
Best to take 3 samples to the vets and they will be able to check them and treat it if your tort is carrying anything.

matt41gb

5 Year Member
Arlington TX.
I deal with hooks and whips on a daily basis. Heartgard, or Advantage Multi is the best preventative for intestinal parasites for your dog. Hookworms and whipworms live in the soil, so even if your dog isn't directly passing them, they can be in the dirt.

It depends on the age, and health of a dog to either show, or to not show symptoms. If you have a healthy dog over a year old, and under 10, then more then likely their bodies are healthy enough to deal with the parasites. If the dog is young, or very old, then it can be immunocompromised and the parasites can highly affect the dog.

Hook worms will sometimes cause blood in the stools since they attatch, and then detach from the intestinal wall to find a more suitable area.

I don't know if hooks or whips occur in tortoises. They can definitely pick them up, but I'm not sure if they are species specific. You should bring your vet a stool sample to be checked for ova. I highly doubt that these parasites can thrive in a tortoise, but there are intestinal parasites that do affect tortoises that I'm unfamiliar with. Panacur is usually the choice for treating whips.

What prevention are you giving your dogs? A lot of companies will pay for your treatment if you show that you've been using their product. I hope all is well with your tortoise.

-Matt

janiedough

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
South Louisiana
tortoisenerd said:
Get your tort's poop tested. About $10-$15 and very accurate, especially if you get a repeat test done in a few months. Even if the tort hadn't been in contact with the dogs, there is a chance it or something else got transferred. Torts can have mild to moderate cases of parasites with no symptoms. They have to get way out of hand before you see symptoms. I don't know specifically if torts can get whipworms though. Either way, no reason to flip out. Follow your vet's instructions for the dogs, ask your dog vet the dog-related questions including how to prevent this in the future, keep the tort away from dog poop (and the dogs), and get the tort's poop tested.

that's why I am freaking out. They share a yard. How do I keep three dogs and a tort separate? I simply can't in my current living condition.

How contagious are these worms for torts?

My dog is fine - he is NOW on interceptor. He was on revolution which apparently my vet told me doesn't work - so then why did she sell it to me?? (Rhetorical Rant.)

I am only worried about my Percy.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
I hope ALL of your dogs are being treated or have changed the meds they are on. I dont know about the torts.. but not good with them sharing a yard. Some parsites are species specific.. not sure about dogvs tort. BUT the meds you give your dogs can effect your torts if they eat your dogs poops..

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I would recommend fenced yard areas separate for the dog and tort, parasites or not. Kinda late in the game for that I bet though. Torts pick up parasites through poop, if they eat food with it, or contaminated water. It is easy for a tort to either eat poop, eat something with poop on it, drink water with poop in it (even that they tracked in), etc. No reason to stress. Even if the tort has parasites (I think that even before this potential exposure it was likely the tort had parasites as they are normal for torts, you just don't want them out of hand), they are treatable.

If your dog is given Ivermectin, it is fatal to torts. In that case you need to take all needed precautions to have the tort away from the dogs, poop, and shared areas.

biglove4bigtorts

5 Year Member
Northeastern USA
Hookworms and roundworms are Not species specific and are pretty commonly picked up from soil and outdoor living. I used to house chamleons outdoors during the Summer and had to retreat them all for worms, when I brought them inside in the Fall. Tortoises living on the ground are highly suceptible, b/c hookworms can burrow through the skin. I would venture to say that many of the owners housing torts outside, have torts with parasite loads that aren't causing symptoms to the torts.
How concerned should you be? I would get a fecal test done every few months and monitor. If you get clean ones for the first few, then get them checked every 6 months. Worms can cause serious problems in weakened animals and/or in large numbers. I think a healthy tortoise, living outdoors, is probably ok, but if the tortoise has to be relocated for cold months indoors, it is best to deworm IMO/IME, since the stress of new conditions and reduction in immune boosting sunlight can enable the parasites to become more problematic.
Always superhydrate any animal on medications...many herps have sensitive kidneys and antibiotics and dewormers aren't easy on them. I found Nemex to work well for hookworms and this has to be dosed by weight, by the vet. If the worms are still present after initial treatment, the dose should be upped by 1/2 to prevent the worms from getting resistant. This is to be discussed with a qualified vet, which I am not. I did work at a vet clinic and have treated many wild caught and captive raised animals for parasites and do speak from experience, but my information is also based on my personal opinion and is to be used as stepping stone, when consulting with a vet.
You are probably in no state of emergency, but having a fecal test done for your tort and avoiding walking in your lawn barefoot, won't hurt anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.