hookworms and shell rot really scared

Status
Not open for further replies.

redtort

5 Year Member
not too long after reading the last shell rot post, i became worried that mine had shell rot as well. Today i took him to the vet, and he actually is going thru shell rot. moreover the vet checked the poop for parasites and it turned out that he also has hookworms. the vet also told me that his white cell count is up. vet gave him a deworm, which did not take too long for him to poop out. I was actually able to see the worms in the poop. i was also given prescription for novalson for the shell rot which I am suppose to apply for the next 21 days. i am worried about a antibiotic shot that he was given for the blood, i have to give the next six shots myself once every three days. i am really scared. other than that he is behaving normal. has anyone had similar experience?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Ok...take a few deep breaths and try to calm down. Your tortoise is going to be just fine!

Where I live, Nolvesan is an over the counter item, no prescription required. However, I think you'd be better off getting an anti-fungal cream instead. You can buy whatever the pharmacy sells to treat human athlete's foot and apply it to the shell rot spots.

Antibiotic won't have any effect on fungus. Maybe because of the white cell count the vet thought there was an infection going on inside the tortoise.

Be sure to go back to the vet in about 10 days and have the tortoise de-wormed again. This second dose kills any parasites that were in the egg stage during the first dose.

Things will be just fine! Keep the tortoise warm and a little drier than usual and he'll get over the rot quickly.

redtort

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Ok...take a few deep breaths and try to calm down. Your tortoise is going to be just fine!

Where I live, Nolvesan is an over the counter item, no prescription required. However, I think you'd be better off getting an anti-fungal cream instead. You can buy whatever the pharmacy sells to treat human athlete's foot and apply it to the shell rot spots.

Antibiotic won't have any effect on fungus. Maybe because of the white cell count the vet thought there was an infection going on inside the tortoise.

Be sure to go back to the vet in about 10 days and have the tortoise de-wormed again. This second dose kills any parasites that were in the egg stage during the first dose.

Things will be just fine! Keep the tortoise warm and a little drier than usual and he'll get over the rot quickly.

Thank you for your response, it feels better to know that. If I may also ask you, the shots cannot have any repercussions can they? I have constantly heard that a bad vet decision can do more harm then good.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Well, the antibiotic is a sort of poison, but it shouldn't poison your tortoise. They sometimes go off their feed for a bit and maybe stay hiding for a couple days, kind of depressed, but it won't harm him.

redtort

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Well, the antibiotic is a sort of poison, but it shouldn't poison your tortoise. They sometimes go off their feed for a bit and maybe stay hiding for a couple days, kind of depressed, but it won't harm him.

thanks yvonne. I have to deliver six shots starting saturday, once every 72 hours. I will keep my fingers crossed.

Status
Not open for further replies.