tort has worms i need adivce please

Status
Not open for further replies.

krh11b23

5 Year Member
So I made a few post worried about my tort not gaining weight. Today i got his feces tested and he has pinworms and hookworms. The vet is gonna give me panacur or whatever it is called on monday. I was wondering if anyone has had experience with this. The options are a liquid given by mouth, powder on his food or a shot. He said the mouth liquid is the best and most effective option. Has anyone ever done this and if so how can i get him to open his mouth to administer the medication? I am worried about stressing him out. Also once he is dewormed do I then need to clean out his enclosure? Also what about his outdoor enclosure? Any advice would be greatly appreciated thank you.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Someone else can tell you how to give the meds. You do need to clean out his enclosure and just use paper or paper towel until you get a clean fecal test back. Otherwise, he could keep re-infesting himself. Also, clean the enclosure often.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
So Cal
I use the oral paste. It's not really a big deal - just open his mouth and squirt it on his tongue (try not to shoot it down his throat) and then let him close his mouth. He will need more than one treatment. Yes, clean his inside enclosure. As for the outside enclosure - I would just make sure everything dries really well. Avoid an sprinklers - any worms will dry up. Good luck!

krh11b23

5 Year Member
thanks for the replies yes the vet said we need to do 5 treatments 5 days in a row

Status
Not open for further replies.