Homer

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Canebrake Ca
Yesterday was quite the day it went like this .........
The annoying anggg angggg anggggg sound of the alarm at 2 a.m. We have a pot bellied pig (Salt) that lives in the house in a large Dog Crate that needed a couple hours after eating to be allowed to go potty before going back in the crate, it's going to be a long day. By 4:15 a.m. family is loaded up and headed out, we had an almost 4 hour drive to our first destination. 8 a.m. arrive at the wife's fathers home, quick visit and we're off again. Taking into account Homers "Mom"/"Mum" was an elderly woman we wanted this to be as easy as possible for her and her family. The 2 families arrived at the meet at almost the exact same time, understandably Mom wasn't there as this was a lot of driving. As the back hatch of the delivery vehicle opened and we got our first look at homer he was huge. Much larger than any other Desert tort we had experienced. Some may guess (after a 100+ mile drive) what was waiting for us, poop ... good healthy moist poop, a great sign. I instinctively just reached in grabbed it and threw it into the field next to us, this was an unexpected thing for the @CASiokos family, but not for the Epps family it's a pretty normal thing. As we started to talk and learn the story of Homer CASiokos pulled out a phone and showed us a picture of the mother saying goodbye to Homer. This was a punch in the middle of the throat to me, I suddenly had a very hard time swallowing, eyes were starting to get watery and my stomach had this terrible empty ache. 60+ years of love I was seeing in that picture, and it wasn't going to end now. To have something in your life you care so much for, for so long not be there right with you anymore ..... Damn this was hard. We continued to talk and share with each other information and take some pics, we gave the family an open invitation to come visit Homer anytime. We did not share this with them but we are currently working on a place guest may stay overnight at our home, this is a perfect example of the need for this. We placed Homers "House" in the trunk and put started to talk of "where he was riding." "He's not going into the trunk," sarcastically one said ... "HELL no he's riding in the car" I replied "I love it" was the immediate response. Our family does everything together and this was no different, this was something money could never buy and we all were getting to enjoy it.
As we headed out on the long journey home it was kinda of an unknown how he would react, would he be stressed would he want to escape in fear of what was happening. None of the above as you see in this pic. 0ECB2B86-B728-4798-8D74-FF7C2F11A808.jpeg

The whole ride home no radio, no silence just one hell of a happy family talking about this special day and what lies ahead. About 140 miles from home we hit the worst rain storm our family had ever had to drive through, so much water falling hydroplaning was not avoidable. We even past an idiot (scratch that no name calling) that flew by us a few miles back with his vehicle latched onto the guard rail and a VERY upset woman crying in the passenger seat ... Ha, should of slowed down like I'm sure she was saying. To reach home from here we have a very dangerous road to travel, the Kern River Canyon, so my goal was to get ahead of the storm and get through that canyon before the rain. We did but there was a car that didn't shortly behind us, 300 feet of the cliff they went. Very sad but nothing unusual for this road, accidents happen here some days several times. SIDE NOTE: Merle Haggard song "I'll never swim Kern River again" this is it. Of course none of this phased the old timer riding like a King in his Carriage. We did make it home with our special guest and still overflowing with excitement and the understanding of how "special" this really was. He seems to be adjusting well (in this short time), we will keep him separate from the other torts (quarantine) for a long while, just to protect them and especially him. Homer will be in the new Desert Tortoise area with the others this summer, still no name yet @Yvonne G is task with picking the name for this hopefully rare type of enclosure for Desert Torts.... All Natural.
We would like to Thank the family for sharing their hard work, compassion, time and most of all loved family member with us, it is not missed by us. This family's dedication to Homer will inspire new peoples passion for Tortoises and all other animals through the educational events, shows we do, I am sure of it.
We will continue Homers story here on this thread for all to enjoy.IMG_0652.jpeg
Crazy Rain ......it's comingIMG_0679.jpeg
Almost home ...Mouth of the CanyonIMG_0676.jpeg
And finally HomeIMG_0684.png

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I admire your dedication. One thing I never did was go out if town for rescues. Well, I take that back. One time a friend and I went to Bakersfield and picked up 13 hatchling desert tortoises from a CTTC chapter that they were having a hard time unloading. . . but Diana drove, not me!

Homer looks great. I love desert tortoise eyes!

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
This is wonderful and I wish Homer lots of years of comfort and happiness with you terrific people. One thing I thought of: he is now in a state of uncertainty and his "Homing" instinct may kick in and stay a while, and he may make some quite strong and determined efforts to escape and get back "home". Couldn't blame him after so long, right? So make super sure of his security! Of course you already know that. Congratulations on getting to be his new caregivers! He's a lucky old guy!

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
This is wonderful and I wish Homer lots of years of comfort and happiness with you terrific people. One thing I thought of: he is now in a state of uncertainty and his "Homing" instinct may kick in and stay a while, and he may make some quite strong and determined efforts to escape and get back "home". Couldn't blame him after so long, right? So make super sure of his security! Of course you already know that. Congratulations on getting to be his new caregivers! He's a lucky old guy!
I hear ya ..... He being new to "Here" will be treated as an "unknown" attitude, demeanor, habits, and the like. We will not trust him until we know him. Might sound cruel or wierd but he's new to us and we are new to him makes for a situation where unknowns are inevitable. We just need to "wait" it out and learn who Homer is.
I admire your dedication. One thing I never did was go out if town for rescues. Well, I take that back. One time a friend and I went to Bakersfield and picked up 13 hatchling desert tortoises from a CTTC chapter that they were having a hard time unloading. . . but Diana drove, not me!

Homer looks great. I love desert tortoise eyes!
I'd love to be your driver .... "Driving miss G"
for any of you that know what that is, or what film that is.

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
Before someone does a drive by assassination "I Know" your not supposed to cover heat mats with ANYTHING.

Homer would not use his new Kane Mat, just sit next to it. We did get his towel he had in his house with CASiokos and thought it might help. A torts sense of smell is a big part of their lives and he HAS to have some memories of the smell of his home of 60+ years. I laid it over the mat and success. This mat is controlled by a 500 watt rheostat and turned down, temperature measured for hours before he was allowed in this insulated house. We are doing our best to let him settle in on his own, making a real effort to stay out of his sight for a week or so. This is because once he sees someone it is a little bit of a startle to him. To see him here is special, he's our Old Timer and we look forward to learning his character, attitude and general demeanor.IMG_0696.jpegIMG_0688.jpeg

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
I missed this thread originally, glad I saw it. Something you might want to consider - see if that family would send you the photo of the mom saying goodbye to Homer. Might be nice to frame it and start a photo wall of memories...

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
I missed this thread originally, glad I saw it. Something you might want to consider - see if that family would send you the photo of the mom saying goodbye to Homer. Might be nice to frame it and start a photo wall of memories...
Holy Moly Taco's and Canole .... What an idea.

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
Today was Coconut Oil Day ....CDD217C2-35BD-44FA-8B5C-97E115B8CE7F.jpeg
02EE4608-0E4E-4517-B26F-AA47CFB5C1E2.jpeg

He did try to dig today but with a little talk and a rock he decided the insulated house with heat was a better option. His shell is pretty cool once we did the oiling, I slowly poured lukewarm water over the shell an hour later and a gentle rub. This process of rinsing made it to where I

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
What a fabulous story and please keep us updated. Looking great with the oil to show off his amazing smooth shell. Sad he had to move on, but he has landed on his claws to a perfect loving destination.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Today was Coconut Oil Day ....View attachment 368548
View attachment 368547

He did try to dig today but with a little talk and a rock he decided the insulated house with heat was a better option. His shell is pretty cool once we did the oiling, I slowly poured lukewarm water over the shell an hour later and a gentle rub. This process of rinsing made it to where I
...made it to where I... what???

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
...made it to where I... what???
Uhhhh ..... That isn't right. The water made it to where there was no oily feel to his shell. The shell retained the oil within but wasn't oily on the outside. I really liked this process where we rinsed instead of wiped the remaining oil off.
He has settled in well, going back to the house every night to sleep. At first he was trying to dig a hole to go into, with our little talk and me placing "HIS" towel in the house that is where he goes all by himself. Every night I do the rounds and make sure he is in the house and so far he has been every night.