85+ year old Desert Tortoise for adoption

CASiokos

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento
Hello,

My parents can no longer are for our long time family tortoise and we are trying to find him a good home.
He has been with us for about 60 years and we think he is at about 85 years old.
He's in great health, never had congestion or snotty nose issues. He's a very strong personality and comes when you call him. The folks named him Homer, after the Greek philosopher.
Homer currently resides in Roseville CA. He is quite the handsome guy as you can see in this photo.

Kind regards,
Cynthia

Attachments

• IMG_1350.jpeg
    IMG_1350.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 10

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
What a lovely old tort and history. Please take care as to who gets this tort, as we have in the past had people take them and resell. Ideally your looking for long term members. Really sorry this has to happen. Hope you find it a nice new happy home. Just an idea is there an animal sanctuary or zoo that could be interested locally?

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
@CASheffer ... I am 400 miles from you. I have spoken to Katie at Tortoise Acres Rescue and Sanctuary who is in Anderson right near you. She is a very large facility that I really do not know a whole lot about but do know she would take your tortoise for a surrender fee. Check out the website and if its not something you are interested in let me know.

CASiokos

5 Year Member
Sacramento
What a lovely old tort and history. Please take care as to who gets this tort, as we have in the past had people take them and resell. Ideally your looking for long term members. Really sorry this has to happen. Hope you find it a nice new happy home. Just an idea is there an animal sanctuary or zoo that could be interested locally?
Thank you Sarah,
He really is quite a character. We are checking all options and will be very select as to where he gets placed.

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
Thank you Sarah,
He really is quite a character. We are checking all options and will be very select as to where he gets placed.
If you still have not found a home you agree with yet, he can have a forever home here. The logistics are but small details, his happiness, comfort and Health are what is important. You can look through my post in the Desert Tortoise section to get a feel for how live is here. If you like what you see and feel like he would be a good fit here just let me know.

ecachuh

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sulphur, LA
Hello,

My parents can no longer are for our long time family tortoise and we are trying to find him a good home.
He has been with us for about 60 years and we think he is at about 85 years old.
He's in great health, never had congestion or snotty nose issues. He's a very strong personality and comes when you call him. The folks named him Homer, after the Greek philosopher.
Homer currently resides in Roseville CA. He is quite the handsome guy as you can see in this photo.

Kind regards,
Cynthia
Oh he is wonderfully handsome! I told my husband I wish we had a ton of land and could have a sanctuary. I would take all the tortoises that I could help! They're so sweet 😍. I think it's great that he is still alive and kicking. That shows how wonderful y'all have taken care of him!

CASiokos

5 Year Member
Sacramento
Oh he is wonderfully handsome! I told my husband I wish we had a ton of land and could have a sanctuary. I would take all the tortoises that I could help! They're so sweet 😍. I think it's great that he is still alive and kicking. That shows how wonderful y'all have taken care of him!
Thanks you. He has been well loved for decades.

Rachel Lay

Missouri
Hello,

Kind regards,
Cynthia
Is Homer still available?

Rachel Lay

Missouri
Hello,

Kind regards,
Cynthia

Hello,

Kind regards,
Cynthia
A little background with me and my farm life. We live in Missouri. We have 22 horses, 500 cattle, and 9 dogs. Homer would live in the house part time with us and outside in our gated yard, on the farm, when it is warmer. I have been looking for quite some time to rehome an older tortoise so this guy would be amazing with us! I am new to this site but will give any information or pictures or anything you need for adoption purposes! Thank you!

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
A little background with me and my farm life. We live in Missouri. We have 22 horses, 500 cattle, and 9 dogs. Homer would live in the house part time with us and outside in our gated yard, on the farm, when it is warmer. I have been looking for quite some time to rehome an older tortoise so this guy would be amazing with us! I am new to this site but will give any information or pictures or anything you need for adoption purposes! Thank you!
CA Desert Tortoises are protected and cannot be moved out of state.

Robinbirdlady

CA
Hello,

Kind regards,
Cynthia
Oh my gosh I was looking for this exact situation. I really wanted a very old tortoise. We ended up adopting one from CTTA a few months ago. He just woke up from burmation a few days ago. We live in Long Beach and have a large backyard with chickens and a just a perfect spot for a tortoise to roam around. My family and I would love to take him but I believe you can’t have two males together. If you get into a situation where you need a home and can’t find one please contact me. I can maybe create two separate spaces in my yard.

CASiokos

5 Year Member
Sacramento
Thank you Robin. He is a feisty old guy so we do worry about him fighting. Even the female we paired him with was always under attack. So I am not comfortable putting him with his daughter, whom I care for in Sacramento.

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
This dear, precious old tortoise should not ever be let go to live with anyone except a truly experienced, deeply caring and absolutely exceptional human being! This tortoise is priceless. I wish that @EppsDynasty could have him.
This is such a compliment Thank You, it really means a lot. It is really a special Tortoise that deserves a great home.

Tortoise Nana

Las Vegas, Nv
Hello,

Kind regards,
Cynthia
Hi, Homer is definitely a handsome young 😁 tort. I wish I could take him, but I already have two little desert torts and two of my neighbors have torts also. I hoe someone on te forum is able to take him. He looks like a real cool guy to have around. Good luck

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hello,

Kind regards,
Cynthia
Please check out the thread called WHITE FLESH in the North American Tortoises Section. You will see the extent of love and caring by @EppsDynasty for these animals.