Homeana Eggs

turtlemanfla88

Infertile eggs grow also in my experience. I never give up until they blow up or start to smell. even when I give up I left eggs in the incubator to hear noise coming from the incubator and find a hatchling.

hingeback

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Malaysia
Infertile eggs grow also in my experience. I never give up until they blow up or start to smell. even when I give up I left eggs in the incubator to hear noise coming from the incubator and find a hatchling.
Do the eggs change colour?ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1450785679.919732.jpg
The third is different than the other two.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
I'm sure that the coloration will change in time but I'm not sure to what. Probably something between the father:

And the mother:

Update on the baby, looks like he's starting to move out of the shell. Also opened his eyes!

What a beautiful family you have there!!!

chairman

10 Year Member!
Mississippi
In my limited experience, all the eggs appear to be expanding. The difference with the two that contained tortoises is that they grew oblong, rather then just getting equally bigger on all dimensions. Realistically, at this point I expect that the two eggs that were laid at the same time as my stillbirth and successful birth are bad, but neither have popped yet or grown to be more tortoise-shaped.

I do have one very tortoise-shaped egg now but it developed sideways... I'm afraid that there's another late term death in the egg but I'm going to wait until it hatches or obviously rots.

turtlemanfla88

Never give up. If I would give up I would of discarded good eggs before. I keep them until they smell, explode, or hatch.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
In my limited experience, all the eggs appear to be expanding. The difference with the two that contained tortoises is that they grew oblong, rather then just getting equally bigger on all dimensions. Realistically, at this point I expect that the two eggs that were laid at the same time as my stillbirth and successful birth are bad, but neither have popped yet or grown to be more tortoise-shaped.

I do have one very tortoise-shaped egg now but it developed sideways... I'm afraid that there's another late term death in the egg but I'm going to wait until it hatches or obviously rots.
Just found 3 more eggs this morning, so I have 4 + 3 now in diapause. What temperature did you incubate at?

turtlemanfla88

I never incubate all my eggs at one temperature instead I divide my clutch equally between two or three incubators at three different temperatures. One is set at 84, one is at 86, and last one is at 88. I use Farenheit not C. I lost whole clutches by keeping all my eggs in one basket. No pun intended.

chairman

10 Year Member!
Mississippi
Sorry for the much delayed response... I am also not "incubating" mine per se. They're in a plastic shoebox at the same temp that I keep my adult hingebacks at. To date I only have the one hatchling and I'm outside the expected range for any of the others to hatch; however, after months of nothing all of a sudden about a half dozen of my most recent eggs developed healthy looking veins. I've heard of diapause in hingebacks and I do not believe that my first egg experienced that delay but it seems like I may yet see some more hatchlings.

Aside from the veins, the only development I've had is that my daughter accidentally cracked one of the eggs. I don't think she broke the membrane, just the shell. I gave it the coat-the-crack-with-neosporin treatment and it too developed veins and seems to be doing fine. Time will tell.

turtlemanfla88

Good luck and keep us updated. My kids love the turtles and tortoises,but get excited when everything starts hatching out.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
One is out. Burrowed a bit into the substrate. Took a quick comparison shot with my hatching from last year.

He's cool. I'm liking that last year's one too. What's the weight of that yearling?

chairman

10 Year Member!
Mississippi
The yearling is 60g, the hatchling is 16g. Hatchling #2 is finally out but he has a good-sized yolk sack so I'm trying not to bother him.