Homeana Eggs

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK Sheffield
Well, had a hopeful development today. Another pip, this guy is moving his legs, opening and closing his mouth, and keeps popping his head in and out the shell. Can also hear him actively cracking the shell in spurts.

Keeping my fingers crossed.
Looking good. Keep the photos and updates coming.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yea! Be sure to post pictures, lots of pictures!!

chairman

10 Year Member!
Mississippi
I didn't have time to snap one before work but at around 0600 he'd spun around to crack open about 75% of his shell. I'm hoping to come home to him just wearing a little egg hat on his shell.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I didn't have time to snap one before work but at around 0600 he'd spun around to crack open about 75% of his shell. I'm hoping to come home to him just wearing a little egg hat on his shell.
Man, I bet today dragged like mad.

chairman

10 Year Member!
Mississippi
I'm sure that the coloration will change in time but I'm not sure to what. Probably something between the father:

And the mother:

Update on the baby, looks like he's starting to move out of the shell. Also opened his eyes!

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Wow. That's gorgeous. What's your plan for set up and feeding ?

chairman

10 Year Member!
Mississippi
He's currently set up in an extra small rubbermaid all access tub with sphagnum moss and shallow water dish. Sphagnum is slightly acidic so it should help prevent infection while the yolk sack gets absorbed. I'll eventually get him cypress and into bigger tubs.

Foodwise, he shouldn't need any until the yolk sack is gone. But then it'll be small earthworms, chopped fruits and veggies, and mushy mazuri. Maybe some mushroom too.

chairman

10 Year Member!
Mississippi
I've been keeping my eye out for poop as a signal that food is needed but haven't seen any yet. Hasn't stopped me from offering food but I can't really tell if anything has been eaten yet. I swear that the little guy camps in the food dish just to keep me guessing. I have also stocked the enclosure with several small worms and some isopods. I've caught my female actively hunting isopods so I know there's a chance that the baby might go after then.

Also, I have another pip. Hoping for another successful hatching.

chairman

10 Year Member!
Mississippi
No new hatchlings yet. My tortoise did give me 4 more eggs, though. It was all one laying, I'm surprised they all fit in her!

Took a picture of mom and her baby.

hingeback

5 Year Member
Malaysia
My first egg is 45mm now, do only fertile eggs expand or infertile ones also expand?