Hollyhock

Ms. A

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California's Central Valley
I have a Greek that absooolutely loves Hollyhock flowers (he'll dabble with the leaves). I happen to have a double flowered one growing in the yard, the blooms tend to get knocked off fairly often. This is where Toto comes in. Literally. He mows down the fallen blooms and I'm wondering if I should let him eat them so often. I know moderation/variety is key, so should I pick them up before he gets to them? Should I treat the flowers like treats and only feed them once in a while?

Please advise.
Thank you!
:):tort:

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I know the feeling. I have this problem with Joe in the cherry season. Greeks are not supposed to eat fruit, but try telling Joe that when there are windfalls on the ground! If we have a glut, I do pick them up, but otherwise I don't bother.

I suspect that Toto is eating relatively few compared with the rest of his diet and actually it won't do much harm. Don't worry about variety on a daily basis, it is variety across a period of time that is important. In the wild, plants have their seasons and torts will eat what is available. This means that they will probably pork out on a favourite when it is available and then move on to something else when it is not around.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Mine are this way with Hibiscus flowers and nasturtium flowers. I let them eat as much as my garden will produce. My hollyhock has yet to flower but they tear up the leaves when they can reach them. I'm fairly certain that they can't eat to much of these items. I hope someone who knows for sure will come along and let us know.

Ms. A

5 Year Member
I know the feeling. I have this problem with Joe in the cherry season. Greeks are not supposed to eat fruit, but try telling Joe that when there are windfalls on the ground! If we have a glut, I do pick them up, but otherwise I don't bother.

I suspect that Toto is eating relatively few compared with the rest of his diet and actually it won't do much harm. Don't worry about variety on a daily basis, it is variety across a period of time that is important. In the wild, plants have their seasons and torts will eat what is available. This means that they will probably pork out on a favourite when it is available and then move on to something else when it is not around.

Gah! That's right! When I first started reading up on Tortoise diet, I came across a similar line in regards to tunas (cactus fruit), heck, it might of been on this very forum. I guess it wasn't saved in my memory bank. Thank you for reminding me! :D

Mine are this way with Hibiscus flowers and nasturtium flowers. I let them eat as much as my garden will produce. My hollyhock has yet to flower but they tear up the leaves when they can reach them. I'm fairly certain that they can't eat to much of these items. I hope someone who knows for sure will come along and let us know.

I just started to grow my own Hibiscus plant! We'll see how that goes. :D

As for the bolded, I think we got our answer in the post above yours. JoesMum gave a very convincing answer, and if I'm reading her sig correctly, Joe is approximately 50 years old. I'm guessing she's done quite a few things right. :)

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Maybe I should have been more clear. I agree with every thing Joe's mum says. I am hoping someone will come in with a more definitive answer though. Like, yes you can feed as much as possible or, no, those should be a sometime treat specifically for those items. One thing I do know, hibiscus flowers and nasturtium has turned my male Russian from a shy scared of me tort into a "I will eat out of your hand if you have flowers" tort, lol. :)

Ms. A

5 Year Member
Maybe I should have been more clear. I agree with every thing Joe's mum says. I am hoping someone will come in with a more definitive answer though. Like, yes you can feed as much as possible or, no, those should be a sometime treat specifically for those items. One thing I do know, hibiscus flowers and nasturtium has turned my male Russian from a shy scared of me tort into a "I will eat out of your hand if you have flowers" tort, lol. :)

Gotcha. And yeah, the Hollyhocks are new to Toto. But they sure seem like old friends with the way he goes at them. He's never been shy/scared of me but now there seems to be an extra gear with these flowers.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Flowers = tortoise crack, any variety. Can they eat to much? probably but it would have to be a lot. As long as they are not forgoing other items in place of them, it is all good.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
As many as the tort will want to eat is fine....also if the tort enjoys the leaves then let the tort have at them....no harm from gorging on the flowers and leaves....