Mountain cornflower and Red valerian safe for leopard?

leoturt

Location (City and/or State)
Western Canada
These grow around our house, chemical free.
Can leopards eat the leaves and flowers? Tort table says the mountain cornflower should be fed in moderation and the Red valerian is "safe". These flowers just look weird, does anyone else feed these to their torts/leopards? I haven't tried it yet but will try tomorrow. Hopefully my tort will like them. It doesn't like roses :( (at least not yellow roses or wild pinkish roses)

Attachments

• IMG_20200531_205138.jpg
    IMG_20200531_205138.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20200531_205131.jpg
    IMG_20200531_205131.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 3

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Newport Coast, CA
Cornflower is in a safe plant family (daisies). I can’t imagine my tortoise eating it but she’s not keen on daisies. Feel free to try it.

Red valerian is in a the honeysuckle family*, While I don’t see much mention of it in the forum, the Tortoise Table is super conservative; I can’t imagine them saying anything is safe if they have the slightest sense it isn’t. We had a ton of it at a house we lived at previously. I can’t imagine my Russian eating it, just based on the thickness of the leaves, but you never know. We’ve had two different wild honeysuckles in our yard and while she was off and on interested in the first one, she has absolutely no interest in the one we grow now. I don’t think it can hurt to offer it, just wouldn’t expect interest.

*There is at least one other plant known as a honeysuckle; the Cape Honeysuckle. Totally different plant but also safe to feed and one you will more often seen mentioned in the forum.