Hmm.. new question?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

Italianlnm

Okay, Zac is wanting to go out and buy one of those portable plastic sheds.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=6435912

The one he is getting is coming from a contractor and MUCH bigger, and also VERY sturdy.. It is made out of thick wood.

I am thinking.. It is 8 ft tall.. If we dig a trench that is the are of it, and cement a foot of the bottom into the ground so it is nice and secure..

Will that work? It is a nice wood, very big and room (I could probably put two full sized trucks in it, easily).

It would be on Grass, but I would put a substrate down in places and around the edges. I am also going to have the contractors cut some 1 1/2 ft x 1 1/2 ft squares in the top and put flexiglass in it, that way he is getting sunshine.. There will be 3 lines of them and about 5 in a line. Is that a good idea?

There will be double doors, for ease of access, and a "Tortoise French Door" For me to open up for him to be able to get out on Warm days or out whenever he wants to go out, when weather is permitting. These will be closed on cold days or if the weather isn't permitting.

I haven't thought of an inside set up yet, but wanted to run it through you guys and see if it sounded like it would be a reasonable set up for a larger Sulcata.

Thanks, Laura.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Any shed that is out in the sun and weather, will be pretty hot during the summer and pretty cold during the winter. Your best bet is to place it under a tree for shade, then insulate the heck out of the inside with insulation then plywood. I like the idea of clear roof panels, however, that just makes it even hotter in the summer time. I looked at these sheds when I was building my Manouria shed. I decided to build one from scratch. But the shed is a very good idea. You just need to be careful where you place it.

I

Italianlnm

I will make sure it is insulated then. It will have a heater or pig blanket in the winter and vise versa in the summer if needed (Possibly a small fan, if this is his hot weather get-a-way.. but only if it gets to hot.. Maybe a temp. controlled fan.. Like.. go until the temp reads 70-75 and then it will turn off).

I haven't thought out all of the kinks yet. I could put it down under a huge oak tree that is in the back yard. Zac figured this could be one of my Christmas presents because I have been begging him for monthes for a shed of some type.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
JEALOUS!!! I AM VERY JEALOUS!!!

You will post lots of pictures when you do your tortoise house and yard, or I won't be able to be friends with you any more.;)

(Yes, Yvonne, I will take my ball and go home!)

I

Italianlnm

I will be sure to post pictures. I probably won't have it completely set up until Spring, or early summer..

Zac has to go to the contractor and get the plans drawn out.. Then everything has to take way.. They will probably go ahead and cement it into the ground and build up from that.. then I will have to set up inside of it, and stuff.. While the contractors are building, Zac will be building a pen that will go around it..(the whole of the back yard, it will take up, pretty much).. --We have a big back yard, is there a such thing as TOO much space? And lucky I, will be the one supervising the boys.

haha.

I am taking a wild pitch in the ballpark, but is that an inside joke?

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Only the part about the ball.

You must still post lots of photos if you want me to remain your friend. And I will probably remain jealous of your ability to keep Sulcata.

;)

I

Italianlnm

LoL. I will definately post them when I get it completely done.

janiedough

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
South Louisiana
A problem I am having, but I am in a different situation is my space is TOO big, too hard to heat efficiently. So maybe have a low ceiling? or REALLY well insulated.

I

Italianlnm

Well.. We have have it insulated, with a pig blanket, possibly a heater hanging from the ceiling on low.. It will be able to hold heat..

Well at least I hope.. Zac is working out all the kinks, and I am here to say 'yes' or 'no' to his ideas..

We will see once it is built what we have to do to keep it heated.

I also wanted Maggi to comment on this.. Yvonne has, and maggie is the other person on here with FULL grown Sulcatas.. I kind of wanted her advice as well!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Maggie hasn't been feeling up to par the past few weeks, and isn't doing much posting. However, I have done a search for her post about Bob's shed, and if you go here you can see it:

http://tortoiseforum.org/thread-7018.html[hr]
The shed is very similar to the one you're thinking about. But Maggie paid a guy to come in and insulate it, then cover the insulation with more plywood. There's another thread that shows the shed better. I'll keep trying to find it for you.

I found it. You have to scroll down a bit:

http://tortoiseforum.org/thread-5533.html

I

Italianlnm

thanks.. I will look at it.. Tell her I hope she gets to feeling better.

I am going to have the contractors insulate it, I think as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.