Not open for further replies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
It comes in small, medium and large and the price is FROM $35 to $50. I think you should be able to find a Stansfield pig blanket in that price range. But you should also buy the F911 controller, or a good quality rheostat to control the temperature.

I wouldn't use a product that was made for dogs on a sulcata tortoise. The tortoise is very rough on his bedding. My sulcata's house is on the other side of the wall here where I sit at my computer (outside of course) and I hear him digging, digging, digging for hours in the evening. I doubt a dog pad would be able to stand up to that kind of punishment.

drewby07

5 Year Member
Any clue where I can find a Stansfield for that price? Every one I've seen is in the $100 or more range. I already have a good rheostat.

Jim in Merced CA

5 Year Member
I've been using this one for Ed Jones. And while it's not designed specifically for reptiles and / or tortoises, it works.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NVC7DO/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

Bought an add-on dial to adjust the temperature and it seems to be working okay.
He hasn't really been scratching and digging at it, so it's been holding up well.

The only thing I find tricky is getting an accurate temperature read.
But as my mentor emysemys mentioned. -- touch the mat with your hand - if it feels too warm, turn it down; if it feels too cool, turn it up a bit.

Good, no-nonsense advice!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I'm all about saving money and going around the high prices of the pet trade. This is one area where experience has taught me not to mess around. If this thing malfunctions because it is being used for some purpose that it was not designed for. It could not only kill your tortoise, but it could burn your house down. I use Kane Heat mats. They have worked flawlessly for me for over 10 years of continuous use. The newer models all have an embedded thermostat so they can NEVER overheat, no matter what anyone does, and a rheostat. That is one reason for the higher prices. I believe the Stansfield ones are fine too. These two brands are designed and tested to have heavy animals laying on them all night. They are made to withstand the pressure from a pigs hooves that weighs several hundred pounds. To me it is worth the extra money for the peace of mind.

drewby07

5 Year Member
Thanks for the input guys....I will just save up for a Kane mat. I've kept reptiles for years, and actually SEEN a cheapo zoo-med heat pad short out and catch fire. Could have been a LOT worse if I didn't happen to be there when it happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.