Hiss Effect

To-To

I already know when a tortoise sticks his head inside his shell it makes a hissing sound, sometimes

i was carrying him back to his pen so he could sleep and he just randomly got scared and stuck himself in his shell for a good 10 seconds

i checked to see what could of scared him, not a shadow or blinking light.

so what was it? or did he do it for no reason?

smarch

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
You could have walked close to something that may have scared him (because for all he knew it was coming at him not him to it) or you could have stepped heavily and he felt it, or walking past a shadow. Any number of random non-scary things could have done it. No need for concern unless he continued to randomly suck into his shell when in his enclosure being left alone. He sounds like he just got a tad frightened over something very unscary to you. :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!!

It might have been the shadow of a tree or utility pole. Tortoises are prey and they pull in for protection when they perceive a threat. And a shadow falling across them might be looked at as a threat.

To-To

well first of all, to-to is mah pampered indoor tortoise, i mantain his large pen (takes up a good 1/4th of a basement, so he has ALOT of room) and 6 inch substrate (subtrate reccomendations from russiantortoise.com care sheet)

i just hope i havnt drivin him insane after he was about to eat a hot wheels truck!