he's scaring me!!!

think green

I bought my turtle about a week ago. He was a confident little guy always out and exploring. Never too in his shell. A few hours after he became a part of our family. He was traumatized by my 1 year old. He (Hero [the tortoise]) was bashed on the kitchen table for a few minutes before I realized what was happening. Well its about a week and he wont eat. Bathe,drink,bask. After setting up his home he explored for about 5 minutes but mainly he spends his time in the corner inside his hut. I've tried giving him fruits,veggies. And I just got these new pellets in hopes he'll. Take them. He hasn't digested in over 5 days! I'm really scared for him . How could I make him more comfortable?? Can they go that long with no food or water???? Please help!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

Little leopard tortoises are generally pretty shy, anyway, but after being "bashed on the kitchen table" I would imagine it's going to take quite a while for this little guy to learn to trust the giant two-legged creature in his world.

Are you sure the tortoise has not been harmed?

Please read this care sheet:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/leopard-tortoise-care-sheet.63792/

...and make any adjustments to your husbandry, then just leave the baby alone. Daily 'tending'...feeding, watering and soaking, cleaning up after...all these things help the baby to realize you're not going to harm him. But it's going to take a very long time for him to get over the trauma he has experienced.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree. It's going to take some time. Getting smashed on the table is a very dangerous thing to have happened. Please be sure the child cannot get to the tortoise. When you feed, put it in there and walk away. Let him know that you came, gave food and left him alone. When you pick him up for soaks, do it slowly and gentle. Eventually when he gets more comfortable that he's got going to get hurt again, you won't have to be so cautious.

bryson white

5 Year Member
Southern California
I also agree with wellington and Yvonne its going to take time for him to trust people and get used to you guys being there and trusting you as his care taker