Hibiscus safety

Frogsarefun

Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
Hello, I have two hibiscus bushes purchased this May from local greenhouse. How long should I wait to be able to harvest leaves and flowers safely?

TisMary

New York
Hello, I have two hibiscus bushes purchased this May from local greenhouse. How long should I wait to be able to harvest leaves and flowers safely?
Hi @Frogsarefun! Others may disagree, but on any plants that I haven't grown from seed or a cutting of one of my existing plants, I wait until there is new, healthy-looking growth on the plant before feeding it to my critters. For hibiscus specifically, I waited until a new bud forms as well.

I'm not sure if you planted these bushes outside or if they're growing indoors. It's important to re-pot plants you buy commercially into dirt that you are sure has no insecticides or fertilizers in it. Got pics?

1635020425704.jpeg

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Id say, as long as you havent your self sprayed anything on these plants, all the new fresh leaves, buds & flowers are safe to feed. I have two hibiscus on our front porch, (two new blooms today) but they will soon come in & grow & bloom in our sun room all Winter long. One of these was purchased in Spring & I have been feeding our Sully new blossoms from this bush all Summer.

Fresh new flowers & buds - go ahead & feed. Thsts a good almost 6 months.

TisMary

New York
Id say, as long as you havent your self sprayed anything on these plants, all the new fresh leaves, buds & flowers are safe to feed. I have two hibiscus on our front porch, (two new blooms today) but they will soon come in & grow & bloom in our sun room all Winter long. One of these was purchased in Spring & I have been feeding our Sully new blossoms from this bush all Summer.

Fresh new flowers & buds - go ahead & feed. Thsts a good almost 6 months.
Hi @Maro2Bear - Glad for this input. I posed a question to my local Cooperative Extension Master Gardeners as to how long they think it takes for fertilizers and insecticides to "work their way out" of a plant.

It seems to me that because of the pumping action set up when water enters root cells through osmosis, and the Transpirational Pull which moves water and minerals to the upper parts of the plant, that the dissipation of the chemicals we're all concerned about should occur more quickly than over the course of a whole year. About 98% of the water coursing through the plant's system is turned into water vapor that exits the stomata (pores) of the leaves. The real question is "how long do the nasty chemicals stick around?" I'll let you know what the MG's come back with.

P.S. if anyone wants to pose this question to your Master Gardeners, you can find them here.

TheLastGreen

Johannesburg
I have the same problem as @Frogsarefun, I have bought a beautiful hibuscus, with lots of buds, about 3 days ago, and I am not sure if I should feed the green buds when they flower (the 2 orange ones were green, when I bought them)20211024_163901.jpg20211024_163912.jpg

TisMary

New York
I have the same problem as @Frogsarefun, I have bought a beautiful hibuscus, with lots of buds, about 3 days ago, and I am not sure if I should feed the green buds when they flower (the 2 orange ones were green, when I bought them)
Hi @TheLastGreen! Beautiful hibiscuses (hibisci?) I'd definitely wait more than 3 days before feeding to your tort. Even using the guideline of waiting to see new, healthy-looking growth, 3 days is not long enough for that to happen (would be more like a month, I'd say). And that's after you transplant it into new fertilizer- and insecticide-free dirt.

Also, I personally don't feed the buds (is that what you're asking?) I wait until the bloom is full. Maybe it's because I'm still so gob-smacked at their beauty that I wait to see them open! If a whole blossom is too big, you can carefully snip one or 2 petals at the base.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Hi @Maro2Bear - Glad for this input. I posed a question to my local Cooperative Extension Master Gardeners as to how long they think it takes for fertilizers and insecticides to "work their way out" of a plant.

It seems to me that because of the pumping action set up when water enters root cells through osmosis, and the Transpirational Pull which moves water and minerals to the upper parts of the plant, that the dissipation of the chemicals we're all concerned about should occur more quickly than over the course of a whole year. About 98% of the water coursing through the plant's system is turned into water vapor that exits the stomata (pores) of the leaves. The real question is "how long do the nasty chemicals stick around?" I'll let you know what the MG's come back with.

P.S. if anyone wants to pose this question to your Master Gardeners, you can find them here.

Yep, I studied & learned all of this at University. Lots of plant studies. The big danger is folks who bring home brand new plants from the nursery that have recently been over fertilized & over sprayed with pesticides to keep nasty bugs away from ruining the plants & feed flowers/buds & leaves right away from these plants.

But yes, good water soakings, coupled with new growth & everything should be good.

The problem is not really knowing what was fed/sprayed by the growers of the plants.

Good luck - always good to be safe!

Frogsarefun

Wisconsin
Hi @Frogsarefun! Others may disagree, but on any plants that I haven't grown from seed or a cutting of one of my existing plants, I wait until there is new, healthy-looking growth on the plant before feeding it to my critters. For hibiscus specifically, I waited until a new bud forms as well.

I'm not sure if you planted these bushes outside or if they're growing indoors. It's important to re-pot plants you buy commercially into dirt that you are sure has no insecticides or fertilizers in it. Got pics?

View attachment 334999
Mine were outdoors all summer, potted. Just moved them in and will repot them.

TisMary

New York
Mine were outdoors all summer, potted. Just moved them in and will repot them.
When I brought mine in from outdoors, I kept them away from all my other plants until I was sure there weren't any hitchhiking bugs on it (it's an old, long, sad, and very frustrating story!) Anyway, I did notice some spider mites on the hibiscus.

Usually, I would spray with a mild dish-washing soap solution, but since I plan to feed the blossoms and leaves to Smidgen, I wanted something that wouldn't leave a residue. So, I experimented a bit and sprayed it with hydrogen peroxide (I'm a big fan since it breaks down into water and oxygen). The next day, I sprayed with clear water. Repeated for a few days until no more bugs.

I wasn't sure if the H2O2 would damage anything, but the leaves, buds, and even flowers came through it like champs. Nothing died - except the stupid spider mites, that is!

TisMary

New York
I posed a question to my local Cooperative Extension Master Gardeners as to how long they think it takes for fertilizers and insecticides to "work their way out" of a plant.

So, I heard back from my Friendly Neighborhood Master Gardeners but they couldn't give me a specific answer without more information (most of which, if we knew - we'd likely be able to answer the question ourselves). Don't get me wrong - they are very helpful and they tried!

Here's some of what they said:
  • "What is the plant, what was applied, where and when was it grown?
  • Some pesticides and systemics last a few weeks or a few years.
    • Some pesticides are selective and wash off quickly.
    • Some systemics are short lived.
  • Repotting doesn’t ensure a 'clean' plant.
  • Big box stores and nurseries buy from growers all over the country.
    • Some use slow release fertilizers, some use systemics, some spray.
    • Every grower is different and use different chemicals.
    • Chemicals have different components so again there is no general answer.
  • In my garden Hibiscus and its cousin Rose of Sharon are easy growers and I don’t do anything to them. However for retail sale I’m assuming growers do add a chemical component.
  • All I can recommend is try to source organic growers or grow your own."

I did send them a link to the TTT Plant Database to which they replied: "It is fascinating. So many of the plants are regarded as weeds!" Yup! We know! ?

Think I'll stick to my advice above (repot; wait for new healthy-looking growth, etc.) with a couple of clarifications. First, while I agree that repotting doesn't ensure a "clean" plant, getting rid of as much of the original soil as possible on a store-bought plant will only make the cleansing process that much faster. Second, as far as "new growth" I mean "brand-spankin'-new" - whatever it is wasn't there when I brought the plant home. Look for brand new leaves, brand new buds - not old leaves or buds that just got bigger.

May your Hibiscus plants be Happy, Healthy and Hearty (with Heaps of new buds!)