Pesticide??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tina Marie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Hahnville, LA
I was so very excited to give my two little hatchlings (Olive and Cosmo) a hibiscus flower - which they loved apparently. While at my local reptile/fish shop - where I purchased my setup - someone there told me to be careful with feeding anything from outside as they spray for mosquitoes in my area - if that is the case - will my little ones (I know not now) ever get to go outside to live or spend the whole day? Does anyone else have this issue?

Tccarolina

10 Year Member!
CA
I'm not sure what they use in Louisiana, but in California when they spray for mosquitoes, they use very specific pesticides that target mosquitoes, and little else.

Steve

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Usually cities do not spray things on people's private property. So I wouldn't just go grab something from a public place, but things in your own back yard should be fine.

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
I have a many torts outside. They spray here with no apparent problems. It is probably a good idea to rinse anything from outside particularly if it hasn't rained a couple of times since the last spraying. It rains here almost daily so everything gets rinsed regularly...

The aerial sprayings are less likely to cause problems with your torts as the objective is to produce a gas cloud that kills the mosquitoes. If the spraying you have is the mist or fog variety (usually done with trucks driving around), I would suggest thoroughly rinsing anything gathered from outside or simply avoid feeding those items. As anything used is a toxin, regardless of specificity, it is always better to be safe than sorry especially with smaller or younger animals.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Tom said:
Usually cities do not spray things on people's private property. So I wouldn't just go grab something from a public place, but things in your own back yard should be fine.

This is not true, Tom. Here in my area the planes or helicopters fly back and forth over the whole area spraying for mosquitos. I end up with dried drops all over my car. I've often wondered about it for my tortoises and Steve's answer above gives me quite a bit of peace of mind.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
We have never had an issue, however we do avoid any possible issues.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Tons of years ago does anyone remember the helicopters that use to come out at night and spray malathion ? (in southern california) They use to announce a night or two before they sprayed "assuring" people that there was no harm to people but to be sure to cover your car because it would leave a sticky film and to bring the animals in the house????

Where I live there is not an issue of mosquitos, thankfully :D and I don't have paved roads to my house that the spray trucks could use :p

I know that they will not come up onto your property without notice and in general they do not go around spraying pesticides, I know that they go around the main roads in the spray trucks spraying herbicides...but not pesticides...and that spraying is mainly to keep weeds down on the main highways and roads....

If I were you and the plants are growing snuggly up in your yard I would not worry about it too much, or you can simply call your city and ask what their pesticide spraying program is, this way you will be certain.... :D

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
If I were you and the plants are growing snuggly up in your yard I would not worry about it too much, or you can simply call your city and ask what their pesticide spraying program is, this way you will be certain....

Read more: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Pesticide#ixzz1STuFgtUb

I like that answer. If I had a concern I would definitely call the City to find out what they are using and where they are using it. I would never pick something along a roadway because of potential weed spraying.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Well I stand corrected. I can't even conceive of government helicopters flying over my property at night and spraying toxic crap on my stuff. I'd throw a sh*t fit if they did that here!

Thanks for correcting my blissful ignorance, Yvonne. Now I'm worried again...

Tina Marie

5 Year Member
Hahnville, LA
It is a truck that drives by spewing forth some foggy material - people have horses, cows, I am sure outside dogs and cats - oh, and that armadillo that terrorizes my garden every chance he gets - and I am sure it doesn't bother them - I was just concerned about it settling on the grass and such - mosquitoes are terrible in my area - and by the end of Summer, we have nice healthy geckos. So, I will gently wash anything I pick. Thank you for all of your input. It really gives me peace of mind.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Just a little OT but for anyone who has a mosquito problem I suggest getting a pond full of RES, they are quite effective at eating them all, they are attracted to the water to lay the eggs, and then pop the turtles eat them. We had a big mosquito problem the first year or so we moved here, then one day I was outside watching my RES and I saw all of the little ripples in the water, I realized it was the RES eating all of the mosquitoes, landing on the water to lay eggs, I laughed the entire time they did it.

Status
Not open for further replies.