Hibiscus leaves turning yellow

Status
Not open for further replies.

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Wayland, NY
My hibiscus plant keeps getting yellow leaves. Today was really bad. I pulled them off. I thought it might be aphids, but my parents said aphids are visible, and I don't see any. Could it be spider mites? The plant is a pink hibiscus if it helps. I water it when the first few inches of soil are dry.

Sent from my iPod touch using TortForum mobile app

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
It is hard to be sure? When you water it do you spray the plant off as well (in case there are critters you will help wash some off each time you spray it) and are you keeping it watered enough? I mean, here it has been so very dry the last couple of years that this year I am seeing that in the plants ---I am watering alot more and it seems as though it is keeping the plants all going but they just don't look the same ....

Maybe someone with knowledge on this will be along....

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
my hibiscus needs lots lots of water so probably if it doesn't get enough water it's usually when it gets yellow leaf

Sent from my ZTE N9120 using TortForum mobile app

RosieRedfoot

5 Year Member
Columbia, SC
I spray down my hibiscus with diluted vinegar and dish soap and water mix every once in a while to keep down bugs. I then rinse it off. It's non toxic so torts can still eat it after rinsing. Yellowing could be from too little light or water. Mine often yellows on the side that's shaded and sheltered from rain.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I found a particular "fertilizer" that is made by miracle grow for Azaleas and other plants that need a more acidic soil. It works great for hibiscus. It solved my yellow leaf issues right quick. It did not save my hibiscus form freezing in the winter and cooking in the summer though... :(

Arnold_rules

5 Year Member
Gilbert, AZ
It could just need fertilizer. Hibicus needs acidic soil. Just check with a nursery and see.

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Wayland, NY
It gets enough light everyday, direct sun for around five hours. And I watered it two days ago, and now there are tons of yellow leaves. When before it was one or two every few days. Maybe I'm overwatering? I don't spray it often. I did once though. And I thought fertilizers can't be used if tortoises are going to eat them because of toxins?

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Is it still in the pot or planted in the ground?
I have 2 different hibiscus in the ground and have to keep both well watered. If they aren't watered either daily or drenched every other day then some leaves turn yellow.

Sent from my TFOapp

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
Where do you live and how long ago did you plant it? I live in the hot, sunny San Fernando Valley of SoCal and the last couple weeks have been so warm and dry here I've been watering my hibiscus nearly every day. Mine are just getting started and man, are they thirsty.

Jtort

5 Year Member
So Cal
Most likely it's due to under watering. I have two. One is in the ground, the other is in a pot. The one in the pot tends to dry out faster and if I don't water it often enough the leaves start turning yellow.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
hunterk997 said:
It gets enough light everyday, direct sun for around five hours. And I watered it two days ago, and now there are tons of yellow leaves. When before it was one or two every few days. Maybe I'm overwatering? I don't spray it often. I did once though. And I thought fertilizers can't be used if tortoises are going to eat them because of toxins?

You don't want your tortoise eating actual fertilizer, like something sprayed on the leaves, or access to something spread around the base of the plant inside an enclosure. Using fertilizers away from the reach of the tortoises and then feeding the plants that grew as a result is perfectly fine. The leaves assimilate the nutrients in the way they should and all is good. Now systemic pesticides, or "Weed and Feed" type products are another story. But the stuff I mentioned above is perfectly fine. It gives the plant what it needs to grow, and helps amend the soil to suit these types of plants.

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Wayland, NY
Okay. I was reading that hibiscus needed feetilizers but I was under the impression any type of fertilizer or pesticide ot chemicals was bad. I'll pick up some fertilizer then. Are there any specific ones you recommend?

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
I use Miracle Grow fertilizer that is made for vegetables. I use the kind that I mix in a bucket of water and then water the plant around the base. After it soaks into the ground I water the ground real well. At the beginning of Spring I use an acidic additive. :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yes. The one I mentioned above that is made for Azaleas, Camellias, Rhododendron, and hibiscus. Its made by Miracle-Gro. Its these wet crystals that you mix with water and water your plants with. Its great stuff.

It used to be called something else. "Acid..." something or other... I can't remember the name. Its for plants that need more acidic soil. You should easily find it at any garden center.

sunshine_hugs

5 Year Member
I have 6 hibiscus plants in pots right now, and one in the ground....I seem to need to water them daily (well, the red ones are a little more tolerant, but my others are picky). If they aren't watered daily, they seem to get yellow leaves.

As others have said, it could need something to help make the soil more acidic. I have never used any fertilizers on mine, but I have used some of our kitchen compost.

Good luck!

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
Fish fertilizer is very good or the worm poop one:D

Sent from my ZTE N9120 using TortForum mobile app

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Hibiscus love acidic soil but rather than get chemical fertilizers, give it coffee grounds. Most coffee places will give them to you for free if you ask and strike a "pretty please for my garden" pose. Excellent soil amendment which breaks down and gives your hibiscus what it needs through the soil. Everything we grow begins in the soil. Yellow leaves can be under or over watering. Make sure your soil in the pot is potting soil and not heavier planting soil which will not allow for oxygen and faster drainage and in time you get root rot. If you do have potting soil, you may want to add some rocks as mulch to the top. This keeps the soil from splattering when you water and keeps the water from evaporating too fast. You want to avoid the wet dry wet dry which can stress plants and stress will also do the yellow leaves. I also sprinkle chicken manure occasionally. For me, in So Cal, chicken manure also builds up the soil and for whatever dynamic reason, it keeps my hibiscus from getting white fly. I guess once the chicken manure (compost it first or buy the bags at the HD) breaks down it makes the hibiscus not as yummy and the white flies leave my garden and go find a hibiscus in the neighborhood which is not as well armed. : 0

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
I have three hibiscus plants right in my DT enclosure. Is there anything I can use to amend soil within an enclosure that won't hurt the torts? Kitchen compost sounds promising...

Status
Not open for further replies.