hibernation

Status
Not open for further replies.

freebutterfly

5 Year Member
Do all tortoises have to hibernate?? And when do they start doing this?? How do you manage them when they hibernate? :tort: Thanks!

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southwest Washington
Go to the Hermann's section in this forum under 'species specific' and read as much as you can, including the care sheet.
Much better not to hibernate your tortoise, as it is not necessary, until you have cared for the tort for at least a couple of years. If then.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Oh :D, thanks.

If you do indeed have a Hermann tortoise and you do plan to support and facilitate brumation, please do read--research---ask questions of tried and true methods of others who support and facilitate this natural behavior.

You will want to have at least a full year of seasons to prepare your tort for a successful brumation as well as using that time to get to know what the "normal" behavior is for your tort as well as this gives you time to observe his health to enable you to decide if he is ready for this part of his life cycle....

freebutterfly

5 Year Member
ascott: yes I am getting a hermann.
Thanks everyone for all the great replies, I have read lot's of info and wasn't sure if that was necessary or not. I am so glad I found this forum!! Everyone is so helpful on here!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.