hibernation

sizzet

Location (City and/or State)
Epping
hi all,

I have a hermans tortoise approx 6 yes old. we didn't have him from birth but he has always hibernated.

I've been told we should not do this so we planned to not hibernate him this year.

I'm slightly worried though as he isn't eating and is very still all day.

Should I hibernate him as he is use to it?

Also he seems to be going into hibernation mode, so is it OK to keep getting him out and trying to feed him?

thanks you

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm not well versed in Hermanns's care. Does your subspecies hibernate? If so, I don't know why you've been told he should not be allowed to hibernate (actually called brumate). Since he's always brumated in the winter since you've had him, I don't see why you shouldn't allow it again this winter.

sizzet

Epping
I'm not well versed in Hermanns's care. Does your subspecies hibernate? If so, I don't know why you've been told he should not be allowed to hibernate (actually called brumate). Since he's always brumated in the winter since you've had him, I don't see why you shouldn't allow it again this winter.

well he is a Mediterranean species so they should brumate. I was told you shouldn't do it as it's not good for them.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
If you have successfully brumated him in the past, do it again this year. Stop feeding him and keep him up for 2 weeks to empty his digestive tract.

Whoever told you it isn't good for him should keep their "advice" to themselves.

sizzet

Epping
Hi Karen

Yes he has brumated before and also did so with the previous owner. I have taken your advice and brumated him now, he seemed to want to do it so I think it is for the best.

Thank you for the advice

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Although I have never brumated my Hermann's tortoise, I've read that their weight when they start brumation is important. Even though they're asleep, their metabolism is still working, even if it's at a slower rate than when they're awake. If their weight is too low when they start brumation, they might not survive.
I could be wrong, but someone who has successfully brumated their tortoise would have more info.