Hibernation

Bmarie23

Location (City and/or State)
MA
Hi! We got our young Russian Tortoise back in august (on the east coast).

The only thing I’m confused about with his care is hibernating.

He’s kept indoors in a room between 65-70 degrees. He has all the proper lighting. Starting in October I noticed he started eating less and less and burrowed longer. Now that it’s winter he’s been burrowed for about 2 weeks. I hear him scratching around occasionally in his spot. Do indoor russian tortoises hibernate? I’m a little worried I can’t find a definite answer. Don’t leave him or take him out to soak?

Thank you!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi! We got our young Russian Tortoise back in august (on the east coast).

The only thing I’m confused about with his care is hibernating.

He’s kept indoors in a room between 65-70 degrees. He has all the proper lighting. Starting in October I noticed he started eating less and less and burrowed longer. Now that it’s winter he’s been burrowed for about 2 weeks. I hear him scratching around occasionally in his spot. Do indoor russian tortoises hibernate? I’m a little worried I can’t find a definite answer. Don’t leave him or take him out to soak?

Thank you!
Hello and welcome.

Start here:

Then there is a whole bunch more here:

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Welcome please read the links in #2 and cross check set up and settings.
Hybernating / brumation needs prep, time, tortoise age consideration, duration of ownership and current date in summary... this is not going to happen this winter for your tortoise.
They do get sleepy and sleep more in winter however please maintain, diet, water, soaks, heat and light as normal with no change for forthcoming months. Daily if it goes into a corner then fetch it and place on fresh food to encourage eating. I also recommend warm water shallow soaks in a high sided container 3 times a week for around 30 mins as this helps hydration and gets the internal motions moving!