Hibernation?

2winmommy

We have had our Russian, Roxy, since July. She is usually really active, eats well, and soaks regularly. She has been less active for the last two weeks and eating less. Last week she was deeply burrowed for two days, my husband took her out to soak and she hissed! Id never heard anything like that from our sweet girl. After her soak she was more herself and snuggled up when he petted her neck! She has been burrowed again for the last three days in Sphagnum moss on the cooler side of her enclosure . Not coming out to eat or drink. We live in the Midwest and she is inside now.

Now the twenty questions...
Is she hibernating? Should we continue to provide food/water? Should we change temp/humidity/light hours? Can we keep her in her enclosure? Should we take her out to soak? When could we expect her to come out of it?

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you

2winmommy

I've done more research. I would prefer not to hibernate her. I would love advice on how to manage the light/heat/temps/humidity and soaking to keep her healthy and active. Also, not related to hibernating, but I would like advice on substrate. She has a coco coir, topsoil, cypress mulch mix with sphagnum in her hide. I spray it down 1-2 times daily, but it still gets very dry inbetween. Should I be resoaking the substrate occasionally? How often should I change it all out? Thanks again.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
I would keep her up. Turn up the heat and leave the light on 14 hours a day. Dig her up and soak her daily. Or hibernate her right. Letting her half hibernate in the wrong conditions is bad for her.
Just saw your second post. A cover for your enclosure is best way to keep humidity in. Search closed chambers.