Box Turtle Hibernation

Michael Naz

I have a Florida Box Turtle (in Florida). Assume I know nothing about turtles or hibernation. What should I do to prepare her for hubernation? When will she hibernate? What should I do?

Thanks!

mark1

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
ohio
i'd imagine hibernating in florida would be a pretty short ordeal , and would not require digging in very deep ... i'd give the turtle like a 3ft diameter leaf/grass pile in a high sunny spot , with the dirt under it loosened to about a foot down ...... make sure they always have water , offer food when they're active , and let them take care of it themselves , they know what to do .....

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Would box turtles hibernate properly in Florida?

I suspect a fridge might be needed.

Here in the somewhat cooler UK it is becoming harder to get temperatures consistently below 50F necessary for hibernation... Florida is a great deal warmer.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
depending on where in florida you are , i'd imagine there are short periods of times where they'd dig in ...... i doubt florida box turtles hibernate much , if at all , i think brumate might actually be the better term for what they may do ........ i have to think a florida box turtle kept in florida should be left to do whatever it is they do.... i keep eastern where easterns live , i just give them everything they need and they do whatever they do ....

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If your turtle lives outside, you don't have to do anything except make sure it has a decent place to dig down. I like to pick a section on higher ground than the rest of their yard and pile up leaf litter and garden trash. They will dig down into the leaf pile and eventually go to sleep. Starting in September, I stop offering food.

TLWR

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Baldwin Co, Alabama
If the turtle is outside, just make sure the enclosure has a space that will be easy for them to dig into. I pill pine straw and leaves in an area.
Last year mine went down late and then were up and about quite a bit for a while before staying down for a bit.

Michael Naz

Thanks! I'm getting Penny a new, larger, taller enclosure today, so I could put more dirt and hiding places in it.