Hibernation

captjack74

Location (City and/or State)
Lynbrook, New York
For the past 2 years our 3 toed box turtle has buried himself on his own and not come out for at least 2-3 months that we literally had to check on him. This year he has just slowed down buries at night, pops his head out of substrate all day and every 2-3 days goes on a boxie crazy run. I have taken him out and soaked him every other day but the problem is he will not eat. Is this because he is going to do his normal hibernation? Should I just let him be? Should I disturb him and pulled him out every other day since he is awake and looking at me? I am very confused about what he is doing this year.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
in 40-60's degree weather going down at night and up in the day is normal , especially if it gets sunny in the day ..... ....... if they stay out at night in 40 degree weather that would be abnormal ......... when your temps get in the 30's at night and struggle to hit 50's in the day they'll stay gone ....... the ground temp is what will keep them down ......

captjack74

Lynbrook, New York
in 40-60's degree weather going down at night and up in the day is normal , especially if it gets sunny in the day ..... ....... if they stay out at night in 40 degree weather that would be abnormal ......... when your temps get in the 30's at night and struggle to hit 50's in the day they'll stay gone ....... the ground temp is what will keep them down ......
He is inside he is just fully sleeping eyes closed but above the substrate. He opens his eyes every once in a while.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
can't offer any thoughts on that , anything i've kept inside has never done anything resembling the hibernation i see naturally occurring outside ......