1. What should i fo to prepare
2.when should i hibernate him
3. What should i do while he is hibernating
4. When will he wake up

Saloli

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
middle river
The colony that live with me go dormant each year. It is needed for their long term health. If inside I reduce day length and temperature following the natural pattern ( where they are from) until they go dormant. Then if the temperature is still to high I lower it farther (mid 50's is usually good for zone 7/8 individuals). Though if they have been sick and they have not fully recovered then I keep them active. I also don't allow hatchlings to go dormant if I find them. As for the place to do it if inside an unheated basement or garage would generally work. They will need enough moist substrate to burrow into and cover themselves. Though to give you more detail I would need to know the species/subspecies and local.

Saloli

5 Year Member
middle river
I'm talking normal lifespan not letting them go dormant shortens it significantly. It also effects other aspects of their biology.

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
Saloli said:
I'm talking normal lifespan not letting them go dormant shortens it significantly. It also effects other aspects of their biology.

When you put it that way..I feel better that I DON'T hibernate my boxies. My meaning is simple..I would rather have more time with my boxies than to waste the time during the months of hibernation. I guess for me it beats trying to find a responsible owner to inherit them after I'm gone. I am sure the counted years missed due to not hibernating is not so severe I should worry about it. Besides I don't think they mind..nor do they notice it either.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
How you hibernate your box turtles depends on what type of climate you live in. Are they outside turtles? I live in NY and all mine are outside turtles, except for the young ones. If your's are outside turtles and you want to hibernate them I can give you step by step with pictures how I do it. Just let me know. I truly believe that hibernating outside naturally is a good thing, but there are many who do not hibernate at all, and some who hibernate inside in a controlled environment. Mine usually dig under around Thanksgiving and come up at Easter.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
I have to agree with Terry. I like to let mine do what they would do in nature. It can be a little scary at first, but I have never lost a turtle in hibernation. The members here can give you really good advice on how to do it if you decide it's the best decision for you. :)

Saloli

5 Year Member
middle river
After the colony are dug in i put an additional foot or so of leaf littler in the pen. If you are in N.C. you may be in the same climactic zone as I am which is zone 8a. They usually only dig down about 6-10". They go under in late October early November here usually. I've seen them up in February (Shelly and Dotty). My pen is basically a hugh hibernation chamber.

Status
Not open for further replies.