1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Hibernation

Discussion in 'North American Tortoises (genus Gopherus)' started by Kyle gempler, Sep 30, 2019.

Help Support Tortoise Forums by donating:

1. Kyle gempler

Kyle gempler New Member

Location (City and/or State):
    Arizona
    Hi, I got my desert tort last year right after hibernation so I have never had a tort hibernating in my yard. The old family whom which I got him hibernated him in a box in their garage after his burrow flooded and hibernated him like that ever since. If you have any suggestions or help for me during hibernation it is greatly appreciated. Anything helps. Is he ok in his burrow or should I use something else. Where I live it gets to as low as 35-40 Fahrenheit. His burrow is pretty deep and it hasn’t flooded yet and we had some pretty strong rainstorms. So I’m not worried about flooding. Thanks!
  2. Tom

Tom The Dog Trainer 5 Year Member Platinum Tortoise Club

Southern California
  3. Yvonne G

Yvonne G Old Timer TFO Admin 10 Year Member! Platinum Tortoise Club

Clovis, CA
    Flooding is the least of your worries. Desert tortoises should not be allowed to get wet during brumation. It's a death sentence for them. It's best to box him up like the previous keeper did.
  4. bioteach

bioteach New Member 5 Year Member

Our desert tortoise has hibernated in her burrow; but oddly, one year she parked herself under a Hibiscus bush and slept the winter away there. We consulted with our vet and he said that it isn't uncommon and it was OK (it was a mild winter). The burrow would be the least stressful.