Hibernation Emergency...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashmash

5 Year Member
Last year we let Frank hibernate on his own outside in the burrow he had dug, however earlier this year the top of his burrow was damaged and during a storm the other night it completely filled up with water! We rushed out to get him and he was at the top of his full hole looking for a dry place. Now we have no idea what to do with him because we were planning on another natural hibernation. What should we do????

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I never, never hibernate desert tortoises outside. And I wouldn't advise anyone else to do so either unless you live in the desert. Most areas where the desert tortoise is legal, have too much rainfall to be a healthy place for them to hibernate.

For your tortoise's sake, please box him up in shredded newspaper and place the box in a place where the temp will be below 50 and above 40 degrees and dry, dry, dry!!

Jermosh

5 Year Member
Phoenix, AZ
Ashmash said:
Last year we let Frank hibernate on his own outside in the burrow he had dug, however earlier this year the top of his burrow was damaged and during a storm the other night it completely filled up with water! We rushed out to get him and he was at the top of his full hole looking for a dry place. Now we have no idea what to do with him because we were planning on another natural hibernation. What should we do????

Whats your location?

I want to say that you can rehib them, but I am not certain. But I would reinforce his burrow, make it higher actually. I closed my sullies burrow and have them hang in a straw shelter for heat and I am afraid if a storm blew through in the winter they would not have enough strength to get out.

Good job on saving him!

Ashmash

5 Year Member
I live in Central CA between Bakersfield and Fresno. He was eating my lawn the other day, so he must be feeling better. So just put, maybe the top of an igloo dog house on top of his burrow and fill with straw and cover that? Not sure how to reinforce it...?

Jermosh

5 Year Member
Phoenix, AZ
Ashmash said:
I live in Central CA between Bakersfield and Fresno. He was eating my lawn the other day, so he must be feeling better. So just put, maybe the top of an igloo dog house on top of his burrow and fill with straw and cover that? Not sure how to reinforce it...?

Excavate it out and reinforce with bricks, make larger mound at entrance for drainage. Not sure of the soil type that you have though. dog house (minus a dog) should work fine though.

Status
Not open for further replies.