Hibernation

Kyle gempler

Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Hi, I got my desert tort last year right after hibernation so I have never had a tort hibernating in my yard. The old family whom which I got him hibernated him in a box in their garage after his burrow flooded and hibernated him like that ever since. If you have any suggestions or help for me during hibernation it is greatly appreciated. Anything helps. Is he ok in his burrow or should I use something else. Where I live it gets to as low as 35-40 Fahrenheit. His burrow is pretty deep and it hasn’t flooded yet and we had some pretty strong rainstorms. So I’m not worried about flooding. Thanks!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Flooding is the least of your worries. Desert tortoises should not be allowed to get wet during brumation. It's a death sentence for them. It's best to box him up like the previous keeper did.

bioteach

10 Year Member!
Hi, I got my desert tort last year right after hibernation so I have never had a tort hibernating in my yard. The old family whom which I got him hibernated him in a box in their garage after his burrow flooded and hibernated him like that ever since. If you have any suggestions or help for me during hibernation it is greatly appreciated. Anything helps. Is he ok in his burrow or should I use something else. Where I live it gets to as low as 35-40 Fahrenheit. His burrow is pretty deep and it hasn’t flooded yet and we had some pretty strong rainstorms. So I’m not worried about flooding. Thanks!
Our desert tortoise has hibernated in her burrow; but oddly, one year she parked herself under a Hibiscus bush and slept the winter away there. We consulted with our vet and he said that it isn't uncommon and it was OK (it was a mild winter). The burrow would be the least stressful.