hibernation

shubbles928

My desert tortoise usually hibernates indoors using the box method. I live in bullhead city az. And the weather here sunny n hot one minute then windy and rainy the next and we have random rains.She has a burrow in my bbackyard and I have already had to put a tarp over her burrow when it has rained so it doesn't get flooded. The it has been cold the past couple weeks and she won't come out and I'm worried and don't know. what to do

20150817_191951.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

In my opinion, the tortoise needs to be removed from the burrow and boxed up as usual. Either dig him out or try to encourage him out by other means. You can try directing a hair dryer down into the burrow. This SOMETIMES works.

elzie77

Location (City and/or State)
central oregon
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

In my opinion, the tortoise needs to be removed from the burrow and boxed up as usual. Either dig him out or try to encourage him out by other means. You can try directing a hair dryer down into the burrow. This SOMETIMES works.
My desert tortoise usually hibernates indoors using the box method. I live in bullhead city az. And the weather here sunny n hot one minute then windy and rainy the next and we have random rains.She has a burrow in my bbackyard and I have already had to put a tarp over her burrow when it has rained so it doesn't get flooded. The it has been cold the past couple weeks and she won't come out and I'm worried and don't know. what to do

View attachment 155353
Be careful with the hairdryer, some of them get really HOT. Hopefully some food will work, Good luck.