Hibernation Question

Elizabeth Massari

Hi Everyone-
I have an Eastern Box Turtle that is 10 yrs old. I've had her since she was a baby. Every year about this time she goes into hibernation on her own. I keep her indoors in a large aquarium, and when I see the usual signs that she is getting ready to start hibernating, I completely empty her tank and fill w/organic potting soil, organic peat moss, organic sphagnum moss, and this year I added some shredded oak chips.
I always give her a really good scrub down, in addition to soakings. My questions is this.
I was wondering if it would be safe to use Vital Shell conditioner or maybe olive oil on her after her last bath... to help keep her shell etc. moisturized through her hibernation.
I know there are some scents (ex. pine) that are toxic to turtles....especially during hibernation! I guess that is my mean concern! Would GREATLY appreciate any help from all you experts! She is REALLY ready....so NOT to sound pushy...but if someone could reply ASAP....that would be GREAT!! Thanks in advance for your help!:)
Beth

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Beth, and welcome to the Forum!

You'll probably get different opinions, and mine is that the turtle doesn't need any shell topicals. You can provide slightly moist substrate to hibernate in, and that's just fine.

Elizabeth Massari

Hi There-
Thanks so very much for the QUICK reply!!! I just got done giving her a really good scrub down! (She actually enjoys them...LOL) While I was scrubbing her down....I put a tiny bit of the Vital Shell on and it seemed to help the dirt come off easier. But I rinsed and soaked her long enough that there couldn't possibly be any left on her! After I asked about the Olive oil...I thought about it. That was a pretty dumb question as Olive Oil goes rancid. I really appreciate the help! I try to keep everything as back to nature as I can for her...just thought I might try something new. I really love & miss that little dickens when she goes into hibernation!!! LOL I NEVER knew turtles were sooooo smart and actually communicate there feelings and needs so well!!!!! Well, time to add her new clean moist hibernation substrate. I REALLY am very grateful for the help!
Fondly-
Beth

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
Hello Beth and welcome to the forum! There is no need for the Vital Shell! I'd also say after 10 years with your box turtle, there is no need to reinvent the wheel:) I'd just continue the process of the soaks till your box turtle is ready for brumation.

ColleenT

Lehigh Valley Pa
The shell needs to breathe. While it looks pretty to use that stuff, it's not really good for their shells.