Hibernation Advice

Ceyda

Location (City and/or State)
Turkey
My tortoise started her hibernation last month. I had to leave out of the country so I left it to my friend and he said she slept the whole time and he wanted to woke her up to feed her but I told him not to. We always put her in a lukewarm place so I know she is fine. My only concern is if she wakes up early. Last year she only slept for a month and a half because of the whether. I’m working so I’m not always at home. I want to know what I should or shouldn’t do. I want you guys’ input. Should I put food in her cage in case she wakes up? Or should I water the substrate a little bit so she will at least get some water? I’m just asking and checking in with you guys.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I don't know much about hibernation because it's something my species of tort doesn't do, but I believe that if she etas food and then goes back into hibernation it could rot in her stomach and kill her.
There are lots of threads about hibernation you cold find using the search facility until someone more knowledgeable about it answers you directly.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My tortoise started her hibernation last month. I had to leave out of the country so I left it to my friend and he said she slept the whole time and he wanted to woke her up to feed her but I told him not to. We always put her in a lukewarm place so I know she is fine. My only concern is if she wakes up early. Last year she only slept for a month and a half because of the whether. I’m working so I’m not always at home. I want to know what I should or shouldn’t do. I want you guys’ input. Should I put food in her cage in case she wakes up? Or should I water the substrate a little bit so she will at least get some water? I’m just asking and checking in with you guys.
First and foremost, what species are we talking about?

Assuming you have a species that does brumate in the wild, you need to make a decision about whether you want to correctly brumate your tortoise, or keep it up, warm and active through winter. What you are doing now is somewhere in-between and this is likely to lead to disaster.

If you are brumating, the tortoise needs to be somewhere that is consistently cold and dark. How cold depends on the species, but generally under 9C and closer to 4C for some species like Russians.

Watering the substrate will not get any water into your tortoise.