Hibernating Hermann Tortoise

[email protected].

Location (City and/or State)
Cardiff
Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if hibernation is a requirement for my little Hermann's. He's 2 years old at the moment and kept in a comfortably warm indoor enclosure. I didn't hibernate him the past 2 winters as the vet recommended I don't consider hibernation until he's a little bit older however I'm wondering if it will be required moving forward.

Reading online, half the tortoise owners seem to be in the "if his enclosure is warm all year round then hibernation isn't required" whereas the other half swear by hibernation as a must. I'm not entirely sure who to believe.

He has everything he would want, ample enclosure space, twice daily water change, proper feeding, uva and uvb lights, warm days and cooler nights, exercise time etc

I'd prefer not to hibernate him as it brings up additional complications and also I'd miss my best friend, however I'm not selfish and want to do what's best for him. Any advice would be appreciated.

Bonus pic of him sleeping on me.

Attachments

• 20201103_213147.jpg
    20201103_213147.jpg
    580.3 KB · Views: 11

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
I don't hibernate either of my Hermanns, nor my 15 year old leopard.

zolasmum

5 Year Member
My Hermanns tortoise is 20 years old, and has never hibernated. He lives indoors in his large centrally heated conservatory, and is fine - he slows down a bit in winter, but is perfectly well. We would miss him far too much to want to hibernate him - when we first got him we were told it would be bad for him not to hibernate, but over recent years people have become more accepting of the idea. If you give him a good environment, as you obviously do, and make sure he stays well and happy, then I personally don't think you need to hibernate him - and you will avoid all the anxiety hibernation involves. In any case he is still young - you could change your mind in a couple of years if you really wanted. But I don't think you will.
I am no expert, of course.
Angie

Reactions: Ink

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
One of the most experienced Hermanns tortoise keepers, @HermanniChris , has a you tube video talking about hibernation. You might find it interesting to watch.