Hi

Chris Bates

My name is Chris Bates from the Midlands in England.
I've had a Greek tortoise for about forty years. He enjoys lettuce, cucumber and dandelions and pretty much ignores everything else we've ever tried him on. He also enjoys escapology, and when in the garden he can be observed 'probing' the defences of the fence that keeps him from wandering. In the past he has climbed chicken wire and there is a film on youtube of him climbing a brick wall by forcing himself behind a piece of trellising. He is generally friendly although in the past he has turned violent with other tortoises, with some very loud and worrying shell butting. These days he will come for fuss and if no escape route presents itself then he contents himself with forcing himself into the most inaccessible nook or crannie he can find.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Chris, and welcome to the Forum!!

Its wonderful that you've had your tortoise for such a long time. From how is sounds, I'll bet he'd love to be able to get out and go look for a female. Those testosterones must be driving him crazy!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hello and welcome from another long term Greek owner in Britain. We are in Kent and have had ours since 1970 :)

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Chris welcome to the TFO from AZ, USA . I though I would show your Greek my little girls picture . May be he would want to meet a US female Greek :) ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1400964282.726966.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello and welcome. Thank you for sharing your story of this escapologist. He must be a quite a joy for you and your family. Good to have you here.

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
Welcome to the forum. I can tell by the look on his face that he is quite a character.

chrissie40

newcastle under lyme
Hi Chris
I'm in Newcastle under Lyme and i have just adopted a Greek.His name is Cedric and he is 60+. He isn't too adventurous but is very sociable and friendly. Loves a fuss! Massive fan of romaine lettuce! I would love a female to keep him company as he did have a girlfriend at one time !
Christine

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hi Chris
I'm in Newcastle under Lyme and i have just adopted a Greek.His name is Cedric and he is 60+. He isn't too adventurous but is very sociable and friendly. Loves a fuss! Massive fan of romaine lettuce! I would love a female to keep him company as he did have a girlfriend at one time !
Christine
Hi Chrissie, be warned. My very mature male, Joe, would love a girlfriend too, but at their age they harrass non stop. I am sure Cedric is ramming and mating with all manner of objects, just like Joe!

Greeks are solitary in the wild. They meet up to mate and move on. They don't want or need company. If you did find a girl friend for him, you would have to keep them entirely separately for at least six months in quarantine to make sure that neither made the other sick. And then you may well find that Cedric doesn't want to share his territory and that separate living arrangements are permanent.

Joe has had female company in the past. Indeed, he is a Dad. But his lady friend, Daisy,was introduced, after quarantine, for a few weeks and then went home for her own safety. I was offered Daisy on a permanent basis, but it would not have been fair on her. Even in alarge garden like ours, she coukd not escaoe his attention. The days when they cosied up together on top of the warm compost heap were few and far between.

chrissie40

newcastle under lyme
Ah right. Thanks for the advice. I will leave him in peace. He doesn't ram or butt anything, just dozes and eats and likes to be where we are and looking what we are doing. He's very chilled out so I will leave it Like that! Thank you :)

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Ah right. Thanks for the advice. I will leave him in peace. He doesn't ram or butt anything, just dozes and eats and likes to be where we are and looking what we are doing. He's very chilled out so I will leave it Like that! Thank you :)
Lucky you! He is definitely a he, isn't he?!

Don't be offended. I once had a vet query Joe's gender because he had " a flexible plastron", but Joe is obviously male... we have seen the evidence... there is no doubt!!!

chrissie40

newcastle under lyme
Well I'm told he's male!! He has a concave plastron and a long tail. Otherwise how else would I tell?? I've not seen any boys bits but he doesn't butt things or doing anything else of ' that nature'

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Well I'm told he's male!! He has a concave plastron and a long tail. Otherwise how else would I tell?? I've not seen any boys bits but he doesn't butt things or doing anything else of ' that nature'
Sounds promising :) Post a pic of his plastron including his tail in a separate thread if you want conclusive identification, but I suspect you have a less hormonal make than Joe. Well done! Joe has been behaving like the worst female obsessed teenager.

chrissie40

newcastle under lyme
I will post a pic and ask peoples thoughts but am sure he is male ! His last owners had him for 35 years and got him checked every year so am sure they will know :)