Hi! Tortoise novice questions

SailorSam

Hello :)

I am considering getting a tortoise but I have a few questions and concerns as I am anot animal lover and only want to do what's best for the tort.

First I will say that I am looking at getting a Russian tortoise as I've never had a tortoise before and they seem like a good species to start out with

My big concern is how much socialization or attention the tort needs.
I am very busy and have limited down time, not saying I don't have time to care for it but I don't have hours each day to sit and play with the tort.
I am a volunteer and I volunteer about 20 hours a week where I am out of the house, usually at night.
I have a dog, a Yorkshire terrier that I take care of, walk and play with
And I go to school full time

I've wanted a tortoise for a while but I just want to be sure I am going to be able to care for it properly before making a commitment and I've done a lot of research but nothing is like asking folks who have them.

Just to be clear I will have days that I can spend with the tort and clean and feed him but some days my time will be limited to only 30 mins

I love tortoises and I think they're really cute and would love to have one

A friend of mine who used to have a sulcata is donating his lamps, enclosure, and a hide as well as a food dish and something for him to soak in. Though he didn't have a basking lamp and I will buy one of those

Any information at all would be incredibly helpful
I just wanna do what's best for the tort

Thanks everyone :)

Rafael Salinas

Well one key factor digital timers, that can turn on/off light and heatmat.

Food
Food source northern spring mix from Sulcata Food and lettuce mix, weeds and flowers arizona Tortoise Compond(i will post links of sources in my next replay.

Lighting
As for basking their is a mvb light witch means uva/uvb together in one light bulb and a caramic emitter 75 watts or 100 watts.

Also since the seasons are different up north save into lighting and heating for your plant live food if you want to do that. If not their is a commercal food called mazuri ( specialize for tortoise) there are 2 types med or large. Dont make it a daily meal live plants are far way better i know its like ehh but it can be done.

Rafael Salinas

For example you wake up the digital timer will have the lights on before you wake up or whatever you adjust it to. Quickly have lukewarm water. Soak for 20 to 10 mins. Mean while your get his food dish cut some fresh food for him add calcium with D3 and place it back into his enclosure after his soak place him next to his food and you continue your day when you come back just check up on him and at night the digital timers will turn off the lights and then turn on the Ceramic Emitter for a warm night (please purchase these lights it is very important. That a lil brief example i hope i made sense.

SailorSam

That's very helpful information thank you

How much attention do you think tell tort need

Rafael Salinas

As long as your have the right basking temps and right uvb and ceramic Emitter at 85F to 80F at night and humidity above 80% and the dailt moring routine of soak amd food. Then thats all the attention it needs leaving them alone is a good key factor.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

Tortoises are solitary creatures in the wild. They will tolerate some human interaction and can make positive associations (like with food…) with their keepers, but they don't need any attention or affection. They just need good food, a big enclosure and the correct temps and lighting. Most people keep tortoises in enclosures that are too small. You'll need something 4x8' for an adult russian. If you just don't have that much space, you might look for a different pet that does well with a smaller enclosure.

Check these out:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

SailorSam

Hello and welcome.

Tortoises are solitary creatures in the wild. They will tolerate some human interaction and can make positive associations (like with food…) with their keepers, but they don't need any attention or affection. They just need good food, a big enclosure and the correct temps and lighting. Most people keep tortoises in enclosures that are too small. You'll need something 4x8' for an adult russian. If you just don't have that much space, you might look for a different pet that does well with a smaller enclosure.

Check these out:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Thank you!

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum! :tort:

Torts do not need the attention one may think they do. All they need is: food, water, warm (very warm) weather, a comfortable enclosure, and a daily soak in warm water. ;)

Good luck!:D