Hi, new here

Status
Not open for further replies.

melkin

5 Year Member
I am a bit confused on how to use the site, but I will start trying here.

I have 4 Sulcatas and 2 Leopards ages between 4 and 10 years old. I have been very successful keeping these non-hibernating torts healthy through the years by bringing them inside in the winter.. until now. This year they have grown so large that I broke down an built them a TuffShed that keeps them warm expcept when the temps go below 32 degrees (like this weird winter when we had nearly a week of 29 degrees here in the Sonoran Desert). They all get along well, have full run of my back yard, andI grow all their food which as a variety of grasses, cactus, and greens from my non-GMO organic garden.

Today my tree-trimmer dropped by to ask me if I would take a 3 inch baby Desert Tort (native to Arizona) that he discovered in a client's yard he was weed-whacking. I reluctantly took the baby and then called the Desert Museum here in Tucson looking for assistance finding a certified custodian for this native tortoise. I was only able to leave a message with the Desert Museum--no real person on the line. I cannot keep another tortoise, particulary since I have ( and want) only African tortoises, the largest of which weighs more than 50 lbs.

Anyone in Arizona have ideas about finding a home? I am waiting for a call-back from the Desert Museum, but thought I might as well start investigating the solution on my own.

Thanks, Melinda

Jacob

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
RE: Hi

If You Want Post This On A Thread So Everyone Can See It

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
RE: Hi

Hi Melinda

What you might want to do is create a thread in the adoption section of the forum

Click "Forums" above

then scroll down to the "For sale" section

you will then see a sub topic called "Adoptions"

Once you are there, on the right hand side of the screen you should see a button that says "New topic"

Go ahead and copy and past your reply here and start a new thread.

OR if a MOD sees this they might move it for you ;)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
RE: [split] Hi

Hi Melinda:

Welcome to the forum!!

I've moved your "thread" over to be your own thread...let me explain. When you, or anyone on the forum, starts a new thread, that is "their" thread, and we all try to stay on the topic that they've proposed. So, we really can't tell YOU about your tortoise on Lilijac's thread without going off topic. Its not polite.

We're very happy to have you here on the forum with us. So glad you've found us!!

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Hello Melinda welcome to the TFO :) We all would like to see some pic's of your sully's and leo's :)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I wonder if the gardner, without realizing it, removed a wild Desert Tortoise (just because it wondered into someones yard does not make is off limits to go back) However, once it comes in contact with captive breds he is out of the go back option....that is too bad.

You can also contact Arizona Fish and Game--they have a hotline and will come to you to pick up the little guy/gal and will forward over to a rescue....they really hop to in (at least in the past they have :p )

Good luck and can you post a pic so I can see the visiting Sonoran? I just love seeing the difference between them and the CDT :) I mean if you would not mind? please please please :D

WELCOME TO THE FORUM and we love pics....may we see your tortoises as well ? :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.