New Oldby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Franklin

5 Year Member
Hi,

I heard people talking about this forum at a herp swap meet in Sacramento a few weeks ago. I finally got to finding you on the internet, and so am here to say Hello - HELLO.

I have some pancake tortoises, and sorta have some native western pond turtles in a creek that runs along the back of my place. I don't really 'have' them as much as they live there on their own, but fun to see often just the same.

I envy those of you who live in some place like Florida with so many native turtles you can see in the wild. I've been to the desert in So Cal many times, never seen a desert tortoise thought, out in the desert. I've seen plenty in people's backyard, but I think it would be fun to see one in the desert.

So, I hope to talk with some other desert tortoise species people, mostly like the pancakes, they really capture my imagination, so not tortoise like in some ways, but still no doubt that they are tortoises.

Be talking with you.

Frank

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Frank!!

I hope what they were saying about us was good!

Franklin

5 Year Member
Wow, that was a fast welcome.

I called myself a new oldby, I'm new to the forum but old to having pet turtles/tortoises. I have had pet water turtles too, started with several of those small red eared sliders in the late 50's with the ridiculous plastic bean shaped bowl and plastic palm tree, I guess now those 'kits' might be collectors items.

My Aunt had the sliders as a young woman and got me interested in them, and I've always had a pet turtle off and on all my life. Been without any for several years now, so wanting to enjoy that again, and somewhat inspired y the turtles in the creek, I got some pancake tortoises. I remember seeing them in pet stores some time ago, now they seem to be only available on line. I really don't like the idea of buying something like a pet online, not like a printer cartridge, where you need the right part number. Somehow buying a pet seems more personal, even a tortoise.

But I bought some online, supposed to be a male and female, but they are two males, a large one that is not shy about being male (every time I put him in shallow water to soak, he everts his organ), and a much smaller one with a large enough tail, I bet it too is a male, but time will tell. They both have small nematodes/pinworms too. So when they get along better, I will use some panacur and knock the worms down.

Anyhow, at the show, I don't really recall what the people were saying about the forum. I just heard "tortoise forum" and a quick look around and here you are.

Frank

Franklin

5 Year Member
Hi,

So I read more or less all of the threads at the bottom of the hellos, and see one interesting point from a Tom thread. Buy from the right source, easy point, not so easy to implement.

Anyone care to say who the right source is?? I'd really like to get a female pancake to go with the no-doubt male that I got, as the other in the 'pair' is a likely male, but to small either way.

I'm in a townhouse so the larger species and aquatics are not OK with the HOA, no 'fish' tanks. It is an annoying aspect of the place I live but no yappy dogs either, so it is a win for me on that account. I get my aquatic fix on sunny mornings, the western pond turtles in the creek at the back are almost always out basking. They are very prone to jumping in the water, so I got a bird scope and can see them from my small balcony.

So about that 'know your source', any 'good' sources for pancake where the seller will not make a sex determination that is false? I don't mean 'incubated for . . .' I mean a female with a button tail.

Frank.

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
Welcome to the forum:) We do have some forum members who have pancakes so good luck:)

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Hi Frank, and welcome to the forum. I have a reeves turtle that's 24 years old, and two one year old African sulcata torts. I recently posted some pics of my torts. But, my reeves is a bit difficult to photograph because she's mainly in the water. I have seen photos here of pancakes, and they look so cute. Please take pics and show us what you have.

oldkid

5 Year Member
Welcome to the forum, and as Sibi above said, lets see some pictures.

Franklin

5 Year Member
How? How does someone post those photos. Nothing in the 'help' menu.

Frank

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The photo program that comes with the Forum program (down at the bottom of the page when posting a new thread) isn't really people friendly. You can figure it out if you work hard at it, but it's much easier to put your pictures into photobucket.com or tinypic.com (free picture program downloads) then copy/paste the code from there to here. Here's a tutorial:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-5245.html#axzz2AF92RKvk

and from your Iphone:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-45738.html#axzz2AF92RKvk

Franklin

5 Year Member
Thanks emysemys, so the simple even I could do it. Looks like you are a moderator (sounds like a weapon from Buck Rogers "lookout it's a moderator") so maybe this could actually be in the "help' section, just like you wrote it for me.

P1030905.JPG
P1030906.JPG

The photos are of the individual that was sold as a female.

Frank

Last edited by a moderator:

Franklin

5 Year Member
Franklin said:
Thanks emysemys, so the simple even I could do it. Looks like you are a moderator (sounds like a weapon from Buck Rogers "lookout it's a moderator") so maybe this could actually be in the "help' section, just like you wrote it for me.

The photos are of the individual that was sold as a female.

Frank

I guess the I'll show you mine, you show me yours is not an kindness here? I figure if I can see the photos I posted you all can too?

Any other pancake people out there, or shall I go to the pancake sublist?

Frank

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Welcome! :)

That's awesome people talk about our forum! :) in a good way of course :)

Status
Not open for further replies.