Hi im new and still need questions answerd

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortioselove101

5 Year Member
I, everyone im still pretty new and have been reading all these different threads and i really feel that you guys are my main source! Ive been researching tortoises for 8 months now and have found which one is for me! A Sulcata heres my setup so far tell me how im doing its not finished and i wont get him/her till its finished. I have: substrate two clamp lights a hide away and lots of food. And now all i need is uvb bulb heat bulb bowl and a heat pad. Does that sound right?

-landon sorry it was so long!

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Middle of nowhere
tortioselove101 said:
I, everyone im still pretty new and have been reading all these different threads and i really feel that you guys are my main source! Ive been researching tortoises for 8 months now and have found which one is for me! A Sulcata heres my setup so far tell me how im doing its not finished and i wont get him/her till its finished. I have: substrate two clamp lights a hide away and lots of food. And now all i need is uvb bulb heat bulb bowl and a heat pad. Does that sound right?

-landon sorry it was so long!

It wasn't long at all! What kind of enclosure are you actually putting it in? Tank, outdoors, etc?

tortioselove101

5 Year Member
Actually a book case without the shelves and then yes he/her will get time outside everyday

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
Alright then, it sounds good! A few other things you'll need is: a temperature gauge (preferably one that isn't stuck to any specific part of the tank. I got a zoo med repti-temp which you just point and click the button, and it gives you the temperature (very useful). To make the enclosure more interesting, try adding rocks and plants, they can be fake or real. I just took rocks out of my garden and boiled them before putting them in the enclosure.

When the time comes, you will want to have a secure outdoor enclosure, even for a hatchling. Outside time is important, and you being out there with him/her is fine, but they also need to have some good ole alone time outdoors. My baby tort eats twice as much and does laps around his baby pool when I'm not around. When I come by, he stops whatever he's doing and pretends he's just been sitting around that whole time. But, the food dish is empty, there are holes where burrows were started all over the subtrate, and sometimes there is even poop in the water, so I know better ;) :p

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Click on the threads in my signature. There is a whole lotta info there for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.