Im new!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortioselove101

5 Year Member
I everyone I'm new to the forum, and have been looking into a tortoise. I have been researching tortoises ever since I got my first turtle.I do no what kind of tortoise will fit me. And it is a sulcata if anyone can give me suggestions on cheap setups that would be great thank you!!

-landon

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Landon:

Welcome!

I'm a little worried about your statement "...cheap setups..."

There is nothing cheap about setting up a tortoise. And quite often the new tortoise-keeper finds himself in need of a good reptile vet, which is far from cheap. Even if you get a sulcata from a rescue, that's the cheapest thing about having a tortoise.

If you get an older sulcata that can live outside, he usually can have the whole back yard, but you have to make sure the fence is sturdy and he can't see under or through it.

If you get a baby that needs to be indoors, you can buy a cement mixing tub or a plastic tote, but then the UVB light usually costs around $50. Then there's substrate, a hiding place, a stone to feed on and a plant saucer for water.

Good luck in your search, but just remember: its not cheap!! :D

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Hi! I know you used the term "cheap" and that word has a lot of negatives to it. In reality, what sort of a budget are you thinking of for the set up?

tortioselove101

5 Year Member
Hello I didn't mean a cheap setup as in throw him in a box and call it good. I do know it costs money I meant like the thing to put him I mean I don't want to buy a whole new tortoise table if he's only going to fit in it for a year I think a plastic tote will do, will it?

tortioselove101

5 Year Member
I am also very sorry from my first post I sounded very ignorant I do understand the responsibility of this precious animal in my home. I already have some material: substrate a 2 clamp lights a hut I just need the bulbs and a heat pad. Does that sound good? Or does it need improvement I just want the best for my tortoise.

Status
Not open for further replies.